• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Will the real 5 gallon BOMM recipie please stand up!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
So there is conflicting info here about the 5 gallon recipie for BOMM. One place says it was a typo to use teaspoons for the nutrients and the original was supposed to be Tablespoons and then says it really doesn't need so much nutrients. I can't find where I read it had some post fermentaion additions like vanilla bean and maybe oak cubes. I tried to search for it and it doesn't show up.

Please help

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
The nutrient measure should be in tablespoons. It was a typo on my part.

I've never said to use less nutrients; I said it may or may not work with less. If you want the warranty, stick to the original recipe.

Post fermentation options are limitless. Here are the ones you asked for:

Vanilla bean - 1 bean per gallon
American Medium toast oak - 7 cubes per gallon

Hope that covers your questions.

Better brewing through science!

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Thank you. I picked up the Goferm last night and will make the starter tonight. Looking forward to it.

DanielSank

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 31, 2013
California
It is really difficult to actually find the BOMM recipe for anything besides the 1 gallon batch. It's mentioned all over the place but folks tend not to use links when they mention it. Is there or is there not a well tested reference recipe?

(Asking because I've been fooling around with 1 gal avocado blossom BOMM and it's getting good enough that I want to try a bigger batch)

DanielSank

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 31, 2013
California

Ugh, but the recipe in that link has been misunderstood by many users: it can be read as saying to e.g. 1 Tablespoon of DAP at must creation, and at the 1/3 and 2/3 sugar breaks for a total of 3 Tablespoons of DAP (and 6 Tablespoons of Fermaid K).

The recipe on homebrewtalk seems to actually be correct if I read it that the the 1 teaspoon DAP should be added at must creation, and at the 1/3 and 2/3 sugar breaks. However, it's no good at all if the correctness of a recipe depends on the reader choosing particular shades of meaning.

So we the people put it to you, loveofrose, master of all things BOMM: Where is the correct recipe, written so as to be unambiguous to all readers, so that we might bask in the wonder of your creation?

I found another post on Denard Brewing which does seem rather unambiguous. It clearly states that the total amount of DAP added to the BOMM is 1 Tablespoon. This 1 Tablespoon should be added in three separate 1 teaspoon increments: one at must creation, one at the 1/3 sugar break, and one at the 2/3 sugar break. If this is the case, I would strongly recommend that this thread be deleted and a new thread by created which links to the Denard Brewing page or copy/pastes the text there into a fresh new thread here. We need to put a stop to this confusion.

I already messaged Vicky about removing one of the confusing threads (on loveofrose's suggestion), and with loveofrose's blessing I'll ask that this one also be removed.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Everything has been moved to my site at www.denardbrewing.com and is unambiguous already. I have complete control and keep everything current there. It also makes it easier to find recipes without digging through ancient threads such as these.

I agree this post can also be removed to avoid further confusion.

By the way, you are prematurely frustrated thinking your mead is ruined. Your mead will be fine after fermentation if you allow it to clear completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanielSank

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 31, 2013
California
Everything has been moved to my site at www.denardbrewing.com and is unambiguous already.

Yep, already bookmarked. Thanks.

I have complete control and keep everything current there. It also makes it easier to find recipes without digging through ancient threads such as these.

I totally agree. Forums are a terrible format for technical documentation.

I agree this post can also be removed to avoid further confusion.

I think we're all on the same page. I'm just trying to clean things up because despite the forum posts being "ancient" they still appear to be widely read and misinterpreted.

By the way, you are prematurely frustrated thinking your mead is ruined. Your mead will be fine after fermentation if you allow it to clear completely.

I don't think it's ruined. You already explained not to worry about 2.4x overdose of K2CO3, and the amount of DAP and Fermaid K I put in the must is the right amount for the recipe (just added prematurely). I appreciate your suggestion to offset the pH with some acid, else I wouldn't have know how to think about the K2CO3.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns