• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Now I know the end is near

Barrel Char Wood Products

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
When I see this it means THEY have won.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417020157.334546.jpg

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.
U g

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Nevertheless I will probably try it later on in December. I have need of a "soda beer" for the crazy hot and humid summers and Corona is slowly becoming water as the years go on. I guess hops are getting expensive down south.

U g

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Using American hops automatically means the beer will taste thin?

clone63

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 1, 2013
Belleville, ON
Nevertheless I will probably try it later on in December. I have need of a "soda beer" for the crazy hot and humid summers and Corona is slowly becoming water as the years go on. I guess hops are getting expensive down south.

You indicate it's a fatal loss, but then want to buy it? There would be very similar, probably better offerings in the "Light/Pale" category from a craft brewery at a comparable cost, or if you could tolerate Corona in the first place just get whatever is cheapest. Guaranteed to be watery.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
I recently had some Guiness "Original" that i have never seen in the USA. Beeradvocate folks had rated it low, but i thought it was a great stout ! Might be the american Bud Light drinkers rating it.

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Let's not forget that American lagers which we love to deride as pisswater are very popular in the UK.

The kids over there think it's "cool" to drink them.

And yes. I will try it because although I am appalled at the blatant marketing bullshit that made it possible, Guinness makes a damn good stout and they will probably make a "soda beer" (alcopop?) that's better than the others. So yeah. I will drink it while the 4 horsemen ride up.

I can't stand slamming something just to slam it without trying it.

U g

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I'm with you. But come talk to me after you've had two "interesting" IPAs in 98F weather. You too will be gazing longingly at the guys chugging refreshing ice cold Coronas.

Real beer isn't "refreshing" in the way a Heineken Light or a Corona can be. Real beer is complex and tasty and FILLING.

AND that takes me back to the original post. To see Guinness wading into this shallow "kid stuff" territory makes me worry. It means that they have decided money is more important than making the best beer.

This beer is the Cadillac Cimarron of Guinness. It took Cadillac 30 years to recover from the Cimarron.

I hope when I try it it doesn't remind me of an overpriced Chevy.

U g

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Let's not forget that American lagers which we love to deride as pisswater are very popular in the UK.

The kids over there think it's "cool" to drink them.

....and the kids over there like their beers warm, if the hype can be believed. Hee's your grain of salt <thud> ;D

But really, it's all individual taste. I don't like a lot of popular wines or beers, a lot of people don't like what I consider to be my best creations, but there are a few extremely common things I do rather have a taste for (like Labatt's Blue and the cheapest-ass white wine kit my brew store sells). Can't explain or sometimes even predict taste, even if one loathes the marketing.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Yeah. My loathing isn't directed at the actual product but at the marketing machine that produces it.

It seems that nothing is sacred anymore but then again I'm not looking at the books at the Guinness brewery.

I'm not sitting in the meeting where the SVP of marketing is explaining how this light lager will steer my domestic demographic away from these American beers and back to the home brand. I can see the logic and guess the rest.

It just pains me that a brand has to resort to this tawdry behavior which in the end dilutes (pun) it.

U g

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
I have more or less completely left the beer world behind and I am happily sampling all the wonderful ciders, perries, the occasional mead and other non-beer/wine/alcopop drinks. I am in the "Apple Capital" so why not just sit back and enjoy all the local flavors that come in all the time. Our liquor store owner is really good about bringing in all kinds of different tipples of all sorts. One of my current favorites is a oak barrel aged apple cider, another is black currant cider, ginger cider, over 20 kinds of cider, perry, etc..

Unfortunately she is only able to get Sky River Mead. It's extremely pale, light bodied, super subtle honey flavor at $17.50 a 750ml bottle. The dry is Sahara like, the medium is still dry to me, and the sweet is subtly sweet/dry. I'm not going to review them here though, just the broad perceptions by me. Also it's 10.5% ABV and not the 14% to ~18% I have at home.

When it comes to drinking something I want flavors, sometimes subtle like my green tea, but over do it and it's horridly tannic, astringent and bitter.

I have to say that for almost $20.00 for 750ml I can make it cheaper at home if I can get a sweet deal on honey (pun intended). And it's to my liking as well!

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
I have more or less completely left the beer world behind and I am happily sampling all the wonderful ciders, perries, the occasional mead and other non-beer/wine/alcopop drinks. I am in the "Apple Capital" so why not just sit back and enjoy all the local flavors that come in all the time. Our liquor store owner is really good about bringing in all kinds of different tipples of all sorts. One of my current favorites is a oak barrel aged apple cider, another is black currant cider, ginger cider, over 20 kinds of cider, perry, etc..

Unfortunately she is only able to get Sky River Mead. It's extremely pale, light bodied, super subtle honey flavor at $17.50 a 750ml bottle. The dry is Sahara like, the medium is still dry to me, and the sweet is subtly sweet/dry. I'm not going to review them here though, just the broad perceptions by me. Also it's 10.5% ABV and not the 14% to ~18% I have at home.

When it comes to drinking something I want flavors, sometimes subtle like my green tea, but over do it and it's horridly tannic, astringent and bitter.

I have to say that for almost $20.00 for 750ml I can make it cheaper at home if I can get a sweet deal on honey (pun intended). And it's to my liking as well!

Hell, at $17.50/750ml, you could pay top dollar for honey and still save money... even if you have to buy the bottle to put it in. <G>

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns