• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

who likes my mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

homoeccentricus

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2014
To be frank, in my circle of friends and relatives, l'd say maybe one out of four. Mind you, it's not that they say it's technically bad, they just say it's not their thing. Is this the same in the US?
I'm a mead newbie, have made maybe 4 meads in small batches, all BOMM, relatively dry, so maybe I'm not very good at it, don't know.
Also, I live in Belgium, and we all drink lots of beer, wine, champagne, cava, etc. But you can't find mead anywhere.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Most of my family finds what I make (wines and meads) too sweet, even when I aim for dry (which I don't really care for myself). My husband, on the other hand, seems very sensitive to acidity and describes anything dry as being bitter. I don't mind it really sweet now and then but if it's really dry, one glass will last me all night and I don't particularly enjoy the experience.

JAO's and variants always seem to disappear quickly at parties, so I guess most of my friends have similar taste to me. Try a JAO, even if people don't care for it, you're learning about their tastes (and yours).

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Its all in the making, similar to beers and wines, although in Belgium, it might be all uphill as there are so many great Belgian beers. As I write this, I am having a great Brand Dubbel Bock, which is Dutch, but you get the idea. I made a speculaas mead to appeal to Dutch folks. It needs some aging so I can't say yet how it will be received, but try for some flavors that are popular there. Maybe a braggot would work.

homoeccentricus

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2014
Its all in the making, similar to beers and wines, although in Belgium, it might be all uphill as there are so many great Belgian beers. As I write this, I am having a great Brand Dubbel Bock, which is Dutch, but you get the idea. I made a speculaas mead to appeal to Dutch folks. It needs some aging so I can't say yet how it will be received, but try for some flavors that are popular there. Maybe a braggot would work.

You get me all wrong. I don't want to make mead that other people like. I want other people to like my mead. ;-)

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
So, you don't want to try a braggot? Its rather a hybrid between beer and mead. Try a search on. Braggot. And look at some of the hits. But you might be fated to making things you like that others don't appreciate

homoeccentricus

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2014
I'm a homebrewer as well. In the coming months I'll make an imperial stout with about 10% heather honey. But braggots, not sure about that. When I make mead, it's because it's so simple, compared to brewing :p

antonioh

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2013
Lisbon - Portugal
You get me all wrong. I don't want to make mead that other people like. I want other people to like my mead.

You must be persuasive. Try with a baseball club :cool: !

If your friends like Hoegaarden (be blanche or grand cru) they will like JOAM.

If they are more Lefe style (even brune or radieuse) maybe a bochet.

For Stella Artois, just give them water...

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Good luck, I can't even convince myself to like dry wines... if it's not your thing, it's not your thing. But maybe if you can get them to review things, tell you what they like and what they didn't like, it might give you more insight into their tastes and maybe learn a thing or two about your own.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Most of my family finds what I make (wines and meads) too sweet, even when I aim for dry (which I don't really care for myself). My husband, on the other hand, seems very sensitive to acidity and describes anything dry as being bitter. I don't mind it really sweet now and then but if it's really dry, one glass will last me all night and I don't particularly enjoy the experience.

JAO's and variants always seem to disappear quickly at parties, so I guess most of my friends have similar taste to me. Try a JAO, even if people don't care for it, you're learning about their tastes (and yours).

This is my mother, and my wife respectively.
Mum will say it's too sweet, my wife will say the SAME glass is too bitter.

We all have our hurdles.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Educate them by making them think, not telling them stuff... "Oh, I don't like this one very much."

"Why not? Too sweet, too dry?"

keep asking till you get to the bottom of what they don't like.

"Ok, taste it again and let me know, allowing for what you don't like about it, is there anything you do like and would like to experience again if the other circumstances were different?"

Case in point... I tried a beer taster a couple years ago and there was this one that had a neat aroma with a lovely flavour and aftertaste but it was SO hops-bitter I couldn't take it more than a small sip at a time and the bitterness clung to my tongue for like 2 minutes after I swallowed, if I tried a gulp I'd do the whiskey head-shake, but if the bitterness had been dialed down, it would be something I could see myself enjoying quite a lot.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL

Using that logic I should aim for a thin flavorless mead that has to be at 34F to be drinkable. That way I will appeal to all the Coors/Bud/Micheloeb drinkers.

Actually it's not far from the truth. Seeing that the most popular wine at any party I have is Pinot Noir and Pinot Grigio. Both are served very cold and are often very thin on flavor.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.
U g

homoeccentricus

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2014
Using that logic I should aim for a thin flavorless mead that has to be at 34F to be drinkable. That way I will appeal to all the Coors/Bud/Micheloeb drinkers.

Actually it's not far from the truth. Seeing that the most popular wine at any party I have is Pinot Noir and Pinot Grigio. Both are served very cold and are often very thin on flavor.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.
U g

I don't think this is the case in Belgium. People drink Duvel, trappists and other strong Belgian ales, decent quality wine, cava, champagne, etc. This is about mead being an acquired taste.

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
Beer is an acquired taste, as are wines and even ciders. It took me a while (20+ years) to slow down and enjoy the drink for itself and not gulp flavorless swill to to get blasted.

Since that time I have moved away from biers and mostly go after cider, mead, and some wines.

For my ciders I like dry, tannic and room temp or chilled slightly (50ºF or so).

As for wines I'm definitely bipolar. I like chilled sweet white (dry white tastes awful to me) and room temp dry tannic red wines.

I'm even in the process of trying to get some good oak flavor in a gallon from a 5 gallon batch of too dry (.990 FG) traditional. I'm at 14g for 60 days and it is still not enough for me. Might just leave them in bulk for a few more months.

It all comes down to tastes and what YOU like, make that a main priority, and secondary what others might like. This is your hobby to make the best tasting beverage for yourself and friends that you can, not to make the best tasting drink that everyone likes, just impossible.

So sit back and relax with a homebrew that you made to your liking.

IMNSHO...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns