Thread: Cloudy 1st batch

1. Default Cloudy 1st batch

My 1st batch, 2 gallons, cleared brightly in secondary. OG 1.106, FG 1.002. Added potassium sorbate as I was going to back sweeten. This caused cloudiness that never fully cleared. Batch has turned out nicely but want to prevent this next time. Ideas? Thanks, Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will you adjusting your sweetnes level? If so, Once you have back sweetened and any other tweeks you can use a clarifier such as Spakelloid, bentonite, Superclear.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Default Cloudy 1st batch

+1 to SuperKleer. Probably cloudy due to honey addition. It will eventually drop clear again. You can cold crash to speed it up.

Better brewing through science!

Can I jump in and ask something along these same lines? If you plan to back sweeten with honey would it be better to not add any clearing agents until after you have done that. I have two batches (my first) that I added superclear to and it cleared right up, but I plan to back sweeten with honey at some point. Does it hurt to add clearing agents a second time or would it have been better to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Thig View Post
    Can I jump in and ask something along these same lines? If you plan to back sweeten with honey would it be better to not add any clearing agents until after you have done that. I have two batches (my first) that I added superclear to and it cleared right up, but I plan to back sweeten with honey at some point. Does it hurt to add clearing agents a second time or would it have been better to wait.
    It's better to wait from a taste and cost standpoint.

Yeah... clearing agents are the last thing you do. Before you filter. And before you bottle. ::runs::

Looks like I may be clearing again after I back sweeten.

Try a cold crash before you fine it again. Don't filter cloudy wine. It's a futile gesture.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.
    U g

9. Default

Thanks for the info. I never cold crashed (as I do with my beers). So I'll try that next batch and then a clearing agent if needed. Good thing about this batch is it's cosmetic. The batch tastes nice, so it's very drinkable. Cheers, Steve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk