• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What to do now?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Welshie

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 13, 2013
Sidney, Ohio
We have all seen the pics of everyone's carboys and the like but I have a problem that I haven't seen addressed. How does everyone store all their bottles? I started with a small 24 bottle wine rack and I have quickly outgrown it. My storage space is limited and I am trying to find a nice space saving way to safely store bottles of mead/wine. Does anyone here on the forum have a solution to this problem? If so, I'd love to hear about it or see some pics of what you came up with. Thanks for listening. :)

bathtub brewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2014
Palmer, Alaska
I have this trouble too. Hopefully I will start my garage this summer, but until it is finished I make my mead in the spare bathroom. I keep every thing in the bath tub stall and have shelves on every wall. (It really isn't a bathroom any more its my beer and mead room.) My bath tub has 2 wine racks on one end the other end has 2 kegs for beer and then I can have 2 carboys going in there as well. I also have a place for a 3rd carboy on one of the shelves. The rest of the shelves are covered with bottles and growlers and all the other various equipment needed. It is all about making the most of what you have. Since I only have space for 3 carboys working at a time I tend to stick to the "one month" type mead. (I am also not very patient.)

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
When we built our house in 2000 we had already started making wine and meads, so the wife designed a room in the basement that we finished ourselves with 6 inch thick wall of insulation. At first we were using corks so everything had to go on its sides in racks, not very effective, so we got rid off all but one of those kinds of racks and got a bunch of those metal resturant shelving units that adjust just high enough for each shelf to put in bottles standing up, we have 3 of those with 6 shelves and one we made a big shelf in the middle for bulk aging carboys. We use 3 others outside the room to store empties and carboys of wine or mead. There is a lot of yakkity yak about cork vs all other closures. We cork one or two bottles of each batch and stick it in the conventional rack to age traditionally and the rest get zorks, nylon corks or beer caps or screw caps, none with any problem due to the closure so we can get many more bottles standing up than laying on their sides. WVMJ

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
What do you think of this one?

Here's one that I use.

It holds 144 bottles and is available from a number of merchants. Google "wire lattice wine rack". It is NOT free-standing so it must be wall-mounted. Then again, any wine rack takes up a wall. This one is just not moveable. It will not accommodate 1.5 liters magnums nor some very thick 750 ml bottles (which I put on the rack's top shelf).

I works very well and is relatively inexpensive for the number of bottles that it holds. The price is around $100.

Attachments

• Wire lattice wine rack.jpg
    Wire lattice wine rack.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 28

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I use the same wire restaurant racks that Jack uses. I think there are some pictures in the TARDIS thread. I got mine from Craigslist cheeeeeeeep. 20 bucks. Those shelves hold a ton of bottles and 4 carboys each. They can also hold a few hundred pounds safely which 20 gallons of mead weighs. I don't know if it's more or less than water...assuming more... and water is 8.3 lbs a gallon... so... yeah.

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
Nice, are they pretty heavy since they're so durable? I built one out of pvc pipe and wood. Heavy as hell and tired of moving it. Would be nice for something light weight.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I stack wine boxes on their sides. If you only go two or three high (I have my shelf height adjusted for this) they're pretty stable until you start using bottles from the bottom box. For the 375 ml bottles, I copied the dimensions on the box dividers from the box they came in and turned a sheet of 1/4" plywood into a 4' long shelf for them.

theDREWery

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 3, 2014
Mt. Pleasant, MI
I've been using wine boxes as well, but I've been putting them on some cheap shelving from Aldi. Two cases per shelf @ five shelves, 120 bottles per rack with some loose bottles tucked here and there. The shelves were $30 each and the wine boxes I've been getting for free whenever I run into the people that stock the wine at the grocery.

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't know if it's more or less than water...assuming more... and water is 8.3 lbs a gallon... so... yeah.
Water has a S.G. = 1.000, so if you start out at a gravity of 1.100, your must weighs 9.1 lbs. per gallon. So indeed, your rack is sturdy.

edblanford

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Finished mead (regardless of the SG) should weigh about the same as water (a little more if sweeter, or a little less if dry), as the FG is usually close to 1.000. Water weight should be fine in determining the capacity of a rack, plus the weight of bottles, corks or caps, etc.

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Finished mead (regardless of the SG) should weigh about the same as water (a little more if sweeter, or a little less if dry), as the FG is usually close to 1.000. Water weight should be fine in determining the capacity of a rack, plus the weight of bottles, corks or caps, etc.
You are correct about the gravity of finished mead. But one should get a rack that will accommodate the heaviest items upon it. Since the rack discussed is actually a shelving unit, then there is a possibility that the primary fermenters will sit upon those shelves. I have shelving units for my fermenters. Yes, most heavy duty shelving units will be more than adequate. But if you are going to include the weight of the corks, why would you ignore the additional 16+ pounds for the 20 gallons of must?

This 6' x 3' x 1.5' unit is the one I use for fermenters. It's rated at 800 lbs./per shelf, but I'd never go that high. I remove shelves #2 and #4 to accommodate both primary and secondary fermenters. Top shelf for carboy storage. I also store 1.5 liter bottles in one of these units without shelves removed.

Attachments

• heavy duty rack.jpg
    heavy duty rack.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 16

edblanford

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
I guess I am lucky with space to keep finished mead separate from carboys, fermenters, etc. I have read that bottles, especially corked ones should not be subjected to vibration, so separate storage is my choice. I am aware that not all are as fortunate as I am (CG, for example). One day (hopefully soon, when I finish the Taj Mahal [so named by my neighbor's sister] which I am now insulating for year round use, it is heated as well) I will post pictures of my mead area. It consists of two barn style storage buildings, one 10 by 16 feet (now known as the Mini Taj, which is completely insulated, heated and air conditioned), shared with my wife who uses it as an art/painting space, and the Taj Mahal which I am finishing now, that is 14 by 20 feet. Both have storage lofts (two 14 by 6 feet in the Taj Mahal and one 10 by 8 feet in the Mini Taj.) Since I had to Google "Tardis" in the beginning, I am more comfortable with the current designations! lol

Welshie

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 13, 2013
Sidney, Ohio
Thanks for all the suggestions. My issue is more with finished corked bottle storage. Need to store them on their sides to keep the corks moist and all. I have a wire bakers rack and I think I will make wooden storage racks for its shelves. I also have a 5 shelf bookcase that I am eyeing to add wooden storage racks to in order to make it useful. The question then becomes the weight limit of the wood.

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Books are fairly heavy, so your bookcase will likely be a good start for something as heavy as full wine bottles. The main thing is that if your shelves have a long span, you will likely need to reinforce the center of the shelves with some sort of vertical support and cross brace.

Welshie

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 13, 2013
Sidney, Ohio
Well, this weekend I dove into some amateur carpentry and made some shelves for the wire bakers rack. Holds a nice amount of bottles. I have some single and double racks and I am working on a triple rack right now. They slide right onto the shelf of the bakers rack and hold the bottles nicely. The design leaves me room to store my equipment behind the racks so it has a dual purpose. I think I will still modify the bookcase and turn it into a wine rack. I put a dent in my bottle count but I still have a ways to go.:D

Welshie

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 13, 2013
Sidney, Ohio
While I will revisit Mannye's T.A.R.D.I.S.(got to spell it right people!;-}) thread, I have a question for Mannye as well. Since you have used the wire bakers rack for bottle storage, any insight as to exactly what you used or made to safely store them on it? Any blueprints, templates, golden disc when placed on a staff that will reveal the exact location on a scale replica of the city, etc?? Thanks, Welshie.

Welshie

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 13, 2013
Sidney, Ohio
The rack I have does not have the depressions in the shelves to secure wine bottles. Mine are flat. I looked at the webite you linked to but I lack the tools and carpentry know-how to pull anything of merit off. Maybe some of the simpler designs, but even those are a maybe.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns