• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mazer Cup Blues

Barrel Char Wood Products

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
So I sit down tonight to put in my entries for the Mazer cup, and to my shame and dismay, I see the entries have filled up. It looks like that was the case as of Jan 31 for Petar's sake! Geez Louise! When do have to get an entry in? Christmas? :eek:

Now I don't know what to do. Save them for next year? Enter them in the meadlennium? Keep the precious nectar and drink it myself? :confused:
Decisions, decisions....

I'm starting a petition for a green jacket rule!

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
You should get a pass Medsen, what was the limit this year X number of entries? It seems to be pulling back instead of increasing in popularity as it should be for some reason, no idea why but really it should be X number + any past winners so they know at least some good mead will be in the comp:) Tell us more about the other comp you mentioned? WVMJ

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
Bummer, what entries were you planning on sending? And when and where is meadlennium? Otherwise, I was thinking of Mead free or Die during the summer... long wait though.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Well. That solves my concern quite neatly. Maybe next year. (I know, I know, I said that last year).

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I guess I'm going to start making that show mead for next year then. 2015 OB BOMM with oak and vanilla. Dry as a bone but still sweet somehow.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Well the Cavalry has come to the rescue! :)
Kernel Crush has allowed me to submit an entry by pulling back one of his. This generous spirit is just one example of the quality of folks who come together to make this GotMead community. It really draws some some exceptional people.

Thank you Kernel - you're a General in my book! I salute you.
I tip my cap.
I owe you one!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Howdy Everyone. We kept the entry numbers in check this year due to this being a new venue and the astronomical costs associated with moving from our old location to a new one. The Boulder Outlook Hotel was an . . eclectic place to say the least but it was reasonable and had fantastic people providing excellent service. It was also three times less expensive than the other options we had available to us. We also could not use the Outlook again this year because it was bulldozed and built-over for additional University student housing. This year we capped the entries at 400 for the home and 350 for the commercial competition. Both are full with people still asking how they missed the deadline. We have enough judges to handle that load, but more and the quality of the judging comments and detail of the judging would be compromised.

So be ready to enter next year and watch our facebook page and Twitter feed for the latest and greatest.

Cheers,

Pete "Oskaar" Bakulic, Your friendly Mazer Cup International Mead Competition President

danr

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
Howdy Everyone. We kept the entry numbers in check this year due to this being a new venue and the astronomical costs associated with moving from our old location to a new one. The Boulder Outlook Hotel was an . . eclectic place to say the least but it was reasonable and had fantastic people providing excellent service. It was also three times less expensive than the other options we had available to us. We also could not use the Outlook again this year because it was bulldozed and built-over for additional University student housing. This year we capped the entries at 400 for the home and 350 for the commercial competition. Both are full with people still asking how they missed the deadline. We have enough judges to handle that load, but more and the quality of the judging comments and detail of the judging would be compromised.

So be ready to enter next year and watch our facebook page and Twitter feed for the latest and greatest.

Cheers,

Pete "Oskaar" Bakulic, Your friendly Mazer Cup International Mead Competition President

Thanks for the info Oskaar. Something that you might consider for next year:
It seems that many people were too late based on the maximum number of entries being filled and not the entry deadline. I see that the home competition allows up to 10 entries per person. I am not sure how many people submit multiple entires, but maybe reducing the maximum to something like 3 per person would allow more people to participate.

I am glad to have submitted an entry for the first time this year and look forward to the feedback. Thanks for organizing such a great competition.

Dan

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns