• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

BOMM not sweat?

Barrel Char Wood Products

AmNimru

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 29, 2014
Croatia
So, I thought maybe one of you could help me with this one:

I recently mixed up a BOMM, it's currently at day 6, 1.010 SG so pretty much finishing up (OG was 1.120). However, I'm taste-testing it since 1.050 and even then it had a very alcohol-y taste, so much that it overwhelmed pretty much everything else. Now that it's on 1.010 it's pretty awful, not much as 40% vodka but getting there, as it seems. Now I was very careful with the temperature (fusels with 1388? Come on!) and it was a constant on 22°C. I did everything by the book and everything is perfect... except for the taste.
My question is - will it mellow out? Because as of right now you can't drink this stuff without mixing it with some juice or something, it's that awful.

I also have somewhere around 5 gallons of mead using the same honey (local beekeper source, basically wildflower honey) and D47, which was pretty much the same - just an awful alcohol taste, eventhough it's been now more than 2 months since fermentation finished. And the temperature never exceed 18°C.

Could it be the honey? Could this be the case when lots of sugar is added to the honey to get on the volume so they can sell it cheap?
(cost of the honey was very low, something like $4 per 2 pounds) But the honey itself is really nice tasting. I don't know, I'm completely confused by this.

Given, only other experience with tasting mead I have is a commercial czech variety (probably sweet) from Prague.

Edit: Jesus H. Christ, how does one edit the title of the post? Did NOT see that one.

bmwr75

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2014
Northeast Mississippi
BOMM will ferment completely dry every time in my experience if the recipe is followed exactly. Maybe you don't like dry meads. If that is the case, you will need to backsweeten it. That is what I do since dry meads are not my thing.

JDWebb

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 26, 2014
Sherman Oaks, CA
www.jamesdwebb.com
LOL, you can't edit the title, but I think we get it!
Medsen or one of the others might be able to help more, but all the reading about BOMM's I've done, I just don't understand why people get in such a hurry to want to drink it. Big beer companies do the same thing, add chemicals, speed things along and thats why their beer tastes like crap after you've drank one they way it was meant to taste like. I guess I'm old school, more of a naturalist, and tend to want to do things old school. I prefer to let my stuff age, like a fine wine. And being rather new at this, I'm in no hurry to pour it yet!

I have a 5 gallon mead that I used the juice and zest of 5 oranges, 15 pounds of orange blossom honey, a few allspice berries, D47 yeast, fed nutrients for a few days at the beginning, and now its sitting in a glass carboy. When we racked it from the bucket, we took a taste, and it was like an early semi-sweet white wine. We were very pleased. OG was 1.111, we racked at 1.000 and we intend on bulk aging until at least June or July, it was started on 1/5.

AmNimru

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 29, 2014
Croatia
I guess I'm just missing that main ingredient of every mead.

Thank you, kind gentlemen, for reassuring me.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
And you really can't judge a mead by how it tastes while it's fermenting... some of them taste downright awful for a good while, and the drier they are, the worse that can be, especially if you don't particularly like dry wines.

brentG

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 20, 2014
I wondered pretty much the same thing with one of my first BOMMs. On the 30 day mark it was way too "alcoholy" to enjoy. 20 days later it was fantastic.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns