• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Honey On Tap?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
They've got the potential for a pneumatic system to attach to the frames. Pump the honey straight into the fermenting tanks inside a brewhouse...

I think you're on to something.

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
I really, really, really want to get these, but I'm holding back. I want to make sure they can handle the demand on the production side. They're brilliant marketers -- can they manufacture, too?

Plus, I suspect that (despite the cautions in the videos) a lot of people will grab them who've never kept bees before. One winter die-off will kill that enthusiasm for a bunch of folks, and in a year they will want to offload the hives to recoup some of their initial investment. (Plus, after a year, we'll know better what the challenges are -- if any -- with these frames.)

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
Good point Shelley. I've been salivating over this invention for 3 days now, and have NO experience raising bees. These guys have received close to 3.5 million US dollars in pledges so far, less than a week into their 7 week campaign. They were looking for $70,000. I'm guessing they're elated, but now starting to panic trying to figure out how they're going to meet this huge demand. Not a bad problem to have, mind you ....

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I'll bee watching this one! I've got a perfect place to put a beehive right on my balcony. How cool would it be to get pure untouched honey without having to do all the rigamarole that comes with harvesting the traditional way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
The thing that people miss is that you still have to learn how to keep bees. The honey is only part of it; the herd needs to be managed as well.

You're right! To the uninitiated, it seems like the hard stuff is just the harvest. But it does seem like this hive will make it easier and eliminate the need to "destroy" the hive. Plus I think that in my area, without the need to winter the bees it may be that much easier. That said, I'm sure I would need to read, train and learn from a local beek before I ventured into the hobby. It is really just another interesting facet of mead making.

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
In my opinion, it is the hardest part of beekeeping -- now. It's tedious, and messy, the least fun, and the most work out of the whole arena of beekeeping (for me). But I'm past the bulk of the learning curve. (And it's totally engrossing as a hobby - let me talk you into it.)

And you're right - it's a fascinating part of mead making. :)

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
Wow, this thing is ingenious. :) I plan to get into beekeeping in a few years (don't have the land for it now).

In Houston, you don't need land, just a yard or a flat roof to put it on, or maybe a balcony (if you can hide it from other apartment dwellers if you are in an apartment.)

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I've got the spot! Just need to save the 600 plus whatever other associated costs to set up and maintain the thing. I figure around a grand when all is said and done.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Yeah, my buddy I "enabled" into keeping bees was close to $1,000 (I like spending his money (= ) by the time it was all said and done.

Cheers!

Well then, since theoretically I don't have to get the smoke, bee suit (that's a bee costume. Wait...I'll still get that) and all the other stuff related to extracting honey, the extra cost of the hive itself kind of makes it a wash. I'm going to see a beek this weekend supposedly to get this legendary 120 dollar pail of palmetto honey and I'm going to show him the video and see what he says.

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
For a first year (and even second or third) year beekeeper with one hive, you don't need that much extracting equipment, if you're prepared to be patient. The "crush and strain" method does a lot of folks quite well for very little.

Flow hive would be tons easier, though. :)

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
With the crazy neighbors I have a flow hive is the only option. This a is high density urban area with litigious assholes all around.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
With the crazy neighbors I have a flow hive is the only option. This a is high density urban area with litigious assholes all around.

That's what has prevented me from taking a stab at it (along with lack of time and lack of money). I can just imagine the lawsuit I'll have when my hive gets Africanized and stings somebody.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
Urban beekeeping is growing stronger and stronger, subscribe to BeeCulture if you guys want to support beekeeping and get the news like regional honey prices, the thinking of beekeepers and the inside workings of commercial outfits. You guys might actually be allowed to keep bess, you just assume being in the city you cant. Some beeks with imagination have even painted covers for their hives that look like air vents, HVAC boxes, electrical boxes are good to with a big high voltage sign on it! You meadmakers think you have a lot of gadgets, you can quadruaple it getting into beekeeping, especially seeing how gullible you guys are about a honey drain. WVMJ

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns