• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Yeast starter

Barrel Char Wood Products

JDWebb

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 26, 2014
Sherman Oaks, CA
www.jamesdwebb.com
I bake artisan breads, some being sourdough and I have a 4 year old sourdough starter that is like having a pet or a child. You have to feed it, care for it, etc. I am wondering if it is possible to create a starter for mead using a wine yeast and keep it fed. Has anyone tried doing this, or is it even possible?

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
It is quite easy to do. Over time it will probably pick up some other bacteria and yeast making it your own "house blend". It isn't really any different from maintaining a sourdough or a Kombucha SCOBY.

You can also capture yeast on a piece of wood, like an oak spiral, and then let it dry. When ready, you plop it back into a fresh must, and the yeast will get going again.

You can harvest yeast and freeze them as well which may keep a culture with higher purity.

There are all kinds of ways to propagate yeast.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns