Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mazer Cup 2015 Results are up

Quote Originally Posted by Medsen Fey View Post
    OK...!! We need recipe details for ancient egyptian inspired meads.
    He says, "Palm fruit, dates, chamomile, gesho, thyme, African honey and a very unique yeast." He keeps everything in his head so there isn't a log.

2. Default

I got two silver cups this year to add to my nice collection. One in Dry Melomel (other), another in Semi-sweet Melomel (Berry). Cheers!

Congrats to everyone! Maybe one year I'll get there too!
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by danr View Post
    ... I look forward to receiving my scoresheet ...
    I received my (2) scoresheets today in the mail today. It is really neat to get such good quality feedback; the only other people to ever drink my mead are family and friends, and their comments are much more general and less impartial.

The scores were 42 (Bouquet/Aroma-8/10, Appearance 6/6, Flavor 19/24, Overall Impression 9/10) and 40 (8/10, 6/6, 18/24, 8/10).

The main recommendation in both was that just a bit more honey may have helped bring forward even more of the Tupelo quality.

The only thing I am still curious about is how many entries there were in the category I entered. I expect that some categories are more competitive than others and I have no sense of how these scores generally compare. I was really just looking forward to the feedback, but I would be curious to know if I was 3rd out of 3 entries or if I really did get unusually lucky with this batch.

With a 42 your mead was good. Not good, but excellent according to the scoring criteria.

I agree it would be nice to know how many entries in each category, cause if you don't take 1st any competition narrows to a contest just within your category. Many other contests reveal the counts.

You made a great mead, without a doubt.

I think in the Mazer its judged on points not against each other, so if a category has only 1 entry and it doesnt make the points its not going to get a medal just for being the only entry, also if they have 100 entries and none make the points they wont give a medal just because there are 100 entries, something like that. WVMJ

Unique yeast? Did he culture it from his beard?
    Bees stole my signature file!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12