• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cyser Mead Yeast isn't working

Barrel Char Wood Products

RowingDino

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 19, 2015
This is my 4th ever batch of mead ever and the first time the yeast isn't working.

2.5 gallons of Apple Cider
6lbs of Clover Honey
Lalvin D47 yeast

I added yeast energizer and nutrient to it, but after 12 hours there has been little to no bubbles. The gravity is 1.100.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Did you rehydrate your yeast or did you just toss it into the must?

If you rehydrated it what protocol did you follow. What are your temps and pH?

RowingDino

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 19, 2015
I rehydrated it - put it into 100 degree water for 20 minutes. I didn't take the pH and I'm worried that because I used straight apple cider that it has become too acidic for the yeast.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Can you find some potasium carbonate at one of your LHBS? I add 1 gram a gallon at inoculation. You should be able to get some pH strips as well. Get the ones that have your range (3.5) is ideal. What is you temps in your batch today?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Every now and then you do get a bad packet of yeast, but I don't usually worry until it's gone 24-48 hours with no signs of life.

ostensibly

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI
I've used D-47 for cysers 4 or 5 times now, works great. I have noticed that it can take up to 48 hours to kick in... give it some time.

RowingDino

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 19, 2015
You're totally right. I went to bed with a bubble every 2 minutes and I woke up in the morning and it was foaming like crazy! It's puttering along now, I just needed to give it some time.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns