FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!

Thread: Ghetto melomel issues

1. Default Ghetto melomel issues

Hi,

I am a newbee mead maker. read
    I have started a melomel called "ghetto" cause its on the cheap side.

1 Gallon batch
    -3.3lbs of buckwheat honey
    -2 cans of lemon concentrate(no additives)
    -1 can of lime concnentrate(no additives)
    1/2 lemon squeezed
    1/2 tsp of DAP, 1/4tsp of energizer(minerals/vitamins)
    fill with spring water and 1 campden tablet.
    shook it like a polaroid picture. left for 24hrs
    OG=.270. rehydrated k1-V1116 yeast and pitch.
    aerated. 20 deg C
    no noticeable fermentation after 24 hours...i got worried and pitched another batch of k1-v1116 thinking it was a bad pack of yeast.
    aerated. 20 deg C
    nothing after 48hours......decided it may be to acidic....added 1tsp of calcium carbonate.
    after 72 hours finally noticable fermentation...but much slower than i expected.
    (Usually the first 24hours i get plenty of fermentation.....7 days after pitching yeast the air lock bubbles less than 5 sec....this is over 10 sec.)

Question.....Should I have just waited 72 hours before troubleshoooting it or is best to start right away....
    Is just cause my OG is soo high? it may take longer to start with high sugar levels, so why is that?

Thanks ahead of time!

Wait, 1.270? Most yeasts have trouble picking up after 1.140. Even if you manage to get everything that K1V has to offer, it's still going to be cloyingly sweet. I'd suggest splitting that in half and adding water to make two two gallon batches. Also, you were right to add calcium carbonate. With all that citrus, it's probably really acidic.

3. Default

Thanks valverij,
    I am going to recheck my gravity tonite too make sure I read correctly....I am sure I did but if not i best split that up. I do like me mead sweeter but that might be a little much.
    cheers

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiemead View Post
    Thanks valverij,
    I am going to recheck my gravity tonite too make sure I read correctly....I am sure I did but if not i best split that up. I do like me mead sweeter but that might be a little much.
    cheers
    Yep, split up that batch...although potential alcohol only dropped to 15%! yikes! The fermentation took off within the hour on both. Before I split the potential was 18%.
    Cheers!