• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead Calculator...

Barrel Char Wood Products

nasatech

NewBee
Registered Member
May 18, 2015
I am sorry, I guess I am too new and that it is ll to scientific for me...

I tried reading the help section aboutthe calculator but couldn't understand what and how to do what I wanted to do anyway...

So... (maybe I can't even use it for that but I kind of feel that I can)... Say that I'd like to end up with 50L of mead that has 13.5% of alcohol in it...

I will use honey only for the purpose, and well, some sort of yeast. And water.

Which of the fields should I will in my informaion into, and where will I see "the answer"? What options should I pick?

I guess that my question is, how much honey will I need to achieve what I want to achive?

Is that possible?

Thank you all in advance for readin gthis and hopefully puinting me in the right direction!

- Dimitri

nasatech

NewBee
Registered Member
May 18, 2015
I have found a newbee guide, I guess I'll read it first :p

But still - if you feel generous, please help! :D

valverij

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Dec 5, 2014
Cleveland, OH
FYI, I think the mead calculator linked on the main page is broken. Here's a mirror: http://gotmead.com/blog/the-mead-calculator.html

So, if you go there, follow these steps:

1. Check "Target Volume" and change the unit to "Litre(s)" and enter "50"
2. Check "Target Gravity" and type in "13.5" for the percentage
3. Click somewhere else on the screen

The "Additional Sugars #1" field should update to show the following:

37.857 pounds (17.172 kg)

That, of course, is assuming that your honey has a sugar content of 79.6% (it varies from honey to honey). Really, you should shoot for your target gravity of 1.103. Basically get enough honey to hit your mark and then some, then mix up your must and fine-tune it to hit your gravity. I'd say get 40 lbs, just in case. Even if you don't use it all right now, you may need some extra to backsweeten later.

ostensibly

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI
If your projected volume isn't hypothetical, you may want to consider making a few smaller batches first - 50L is a big batch to start with.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns