Thread: Are there commercial meads?

Default Are there commercial meads?

If I wanted to try a mead to see what it's like, is it something I can find in a liquor store or wine shop (in the USA)? If so, will it be in a wine bottle or in the cooler with the beers?

TIA

I find it with the craft beer on the warm shelfs. Usually when I ask for mead, the liquor store says 'who?'.

Don't pass judgment on what's available in a liquor store, you can make better in most cases.

My Social Networking

Follow curgoth On Twitter Add curgoth on Facebook

It depends a lot on where you are. It's pretty easy to find in Michigan, where there are 3 meaderies. When I was there in March, I found a beer store that had an aisle that was mostly mead, next to the cider. (Beer Baron, for anyone interested)

Up here in Soviet Canuckistan, if you can find mead at all, some of it will be with the beer, some with the wine, depending on which part of the local booze laws the meadery used to get it on the shelves.

I find it in the walk in with beer most of the time in smaller liquor stores. In the giant liquor marts they have an entire section usually around brandy and cordials.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Where are you located, we can prob narrow it do what to look for.
    Stuff~

Quote Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
    If someone else doesn't think it's right, then ***k 'em. They can make their own.

Most of the liquor stores I shop at, stock it in the dessert or port aisle. Agree with everyone else in that you should make your own.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
    Making fake establishing dates since 1864!

Sky River Mead in western Washington State.
    Our state run liquor stores in WA didn't carry mead but several speciality wine stores did. Now that the state is out of the liquor business we can find it at a lot of the big grocery stores and the "Total Wine and More" outlets in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "No trees were injured during the tranmission of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced..."
    -

My Social Networking

Follow MeadMakr On Twitter

Both GotMead (http://gotmead.com/directory/meaderi...deries-us.html) and the American Mead Makers Association (AMMA) (http://meadmakers.org/meadmakers.htm) keep a listing of commercial meaderies on their websites.

A couple meaderies are getting much better distribution nationwide. A good one to start with is Moonlight Meadery if you can find it (33 states, and international).

Some liquor stores now have a shelf devoted to mead. Others, you'll find it with the craft beer section. Legally, it's a wine, but who really pays attention to that

9. Default

And I will add a personal recommendation of B. Nektar, they're out of Michigan I think, but they've got a pretty big distribution network, we get them in my rinky-dink college town in SC so I would be surprised if their stuff is hard to find elsewhere.

I've asked at my local packies and they say, "Huh?". There is a bigger place that has lots of wines and craft brews, so I think I'll inquire there. But I've also got some honey and whatnot coming in the mail, so it looks like I'll be making a gallon soon anyway. Just thought I'd check some out before hand to see if it's something I'll like.
    Dave from New Haven County

I'm in CT as well and the only commercial meads I've ever found were Viking blood, and some other I can't even recall the name. Neither of them were worth buying again, even my over-spiced JAOM was better. I would say just make your own.

12. Default

You can by them online depending what state your in. I would recommend Redstone mead or rabbit's foot mead both have very good Meads. You can most at wine stores or a Bev Mo s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like their nectar of the gods.
    Making fake establishing dates since 1864!

I guess I'm lucky to live where I do (Northern CA). One large wine store has a few meads with dessert wines, sherry, port, etc., although the clerks don't know much about them. But our Whole Foods Market has a shelf of meads in the beer section, informed staff, and occasional tastings with a local commercial meadery (Strad).

15. I'd like to take a bit to find a witty quote. ...Check back soon.