• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Question about ingredients.....

Barrel Char Wood Products

Pixiemead

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2015
Hi guys!

Just wondering if anyone has worked with dried elderberries and how they prepared it for the must? How did it work out?

As well, anyone add propolis to their meads before? How did it turn out? how much to make a difference?

Thanks for all replies!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Try the forum search tool for propolis, I know it's been used but I can't remember how it worked out. Bee pollen as well.

...I have a baggie of dried elderberries that I've been meaning to do something with for quite some time now. Still on the to-brew list...

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
I've got a spiced elderberry mead from about a year ago, my method was to just measure out my dried elderberries (hand picked & dried the year previous) & add to my batch. You do have to realized that those berries can absorb twice their weight in water, or more, so you will loose some fermentor volume. You could try to crush the berries but that would just make the particles that absorb the liquid micro sized & make a mushy mess you have to strain, exposing the mead to air & other contaminants.

WVMJack can help you out more in that arena...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns