• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Here it goes: Obligatory "Is this infected?" Topic

Barrel Char Wood Products

valverij

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Dec 5, 2014
Cleveland, OH
I've been officially making mead for a year now, and have had very few issues (besides misreading the dosage on the k-meta bottle a couple times :(). Until now, I've only been making one-gallon batches. Since I've got a year under my belt, I decided it was time to scale up. This is also the first time I've used 100% raw, unfiltered, untreated, crystallized honey.

It's a basic three-gallon BOMM recipe, with 83% raw OB and 17% raw western buckwheat, OG 1.108. At the end of primary, it developed this yeasty, bubbly film on top, that I assumed was just yeast stuck to wax. I racked it 6 days ago at ~0.998 (14.37%), and it's been gradually clearing since. Since racking, though, the film has come back (pictures below).

Panicking, I moved it to the kitchen and took a sample to check the aroma and flavors. When I moved it, though, the film broke up and separated into a very light-colored, opaque, grainy layer on top. Flavor-wise, it's perfectly fine. Heavy on the OB, with a little citrus and some earthy, almost buttery notes. Very aromatic. It's slightly tart, but has absolutely no vinegar aromas or flavors. Basically, it tastes like mead.

Since moving it back and flushing the space with some Private Preserve wine spray, it has looked the same as it did when I moved it.

What is this layer? Is this something I should be worried about, or is it just grains of wax floating around with some yeast along for the ride? If it's wax, how do I rack this off?

Here are some pictures (note the white grains everywhere)

Before moving

2VTSXEIl.jpg

After moving

KDZhjpVl.jpg

hRuebP5l.jpg

After taking a sample with a pipette - layer fractured immedietely

2BvODOrl.jpg

This morning - layer mostly unchanged

EIDXJAJl.jpg

brottman

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 22, 2014
Looks like bees wax. Don't sweat it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
I've had a couple of high gravity batches develop a layer of large "dirty" looking bubbles during primary. These usually came after my second nutrient addition and oxygenation. It was a little disconcerting to me as well, but if it does your heart any good, I never had one of these come out poorly! They've all been great!

As far as what it is??? Come on...we're making alcoholic beverages out of pure organic bee vomit! Lol. Seriously though, I suspect it is just a sort of soapy compound that develops from the ammonia in the nutrient additions. But that's a purely gut-based guess.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
If it tastes good and smells good, it's good. Looks like wax to me. I've got a JAOM going with a "straight from the hive" honey I got here locally and it looks TERRIBLE. The top is full of all sorts of nasty looking stuff, but the smell is heavenly. I'll just rack the clear gold off the nasty lees when it's done. It even has like three or four entire bees floating around in there.

valverij

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Dec 5, 2014
Cleveland, OH
Yeah, it's slowly separating into what is very obviously a layer of bees wax. I figured it was fine, but since this is the first of 12 batches (albeit small batches) to look like this, I figured I'd ask. If anything, it should help anyone else with a similar-looking batch.

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
If it were mold, white is good and black mold is bad with my experience. I'm on board with calling it wax and Mannye's thing on if it tastes good.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Here's a pic of my wax.

7bc2abfb53719f9f280b092b882381f8.jpg

Looks like mold but it's not.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

valverij

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Dec 5, 2014
Cleveland, OH
So an update

Almost 6 months later, this thing looked exactly like it did in October. Since I don't have a wine filter/pump, I just wrapped the tip of the siphon with a small spice bag. It was small enough to get most of the wax out, but it's still far form clear.

OlMO1Xsl.jpg

If you look close enough, you can see that there are still some tiny wax particles that made it though and are clouding it up. I'm thinking of marketing it as "unfiltered" and calling it a day. Damn delicious, though.

valverij

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Dec 5, 2014
Cleveland, OH
Pretty good. Very floral aroma. Initial flavor is orange blossoms and American oak (I oaked it), followed by honey and vanilla. The aftertaste is distinctly the flavor of Honey Nut Cheerios (I'm guessing the 1lb of buckwheat honey had something to do with this). The residual wax has left it with an almost silky mouthfeel.

Despite it being somewhat cloudy, I'm thinking of submitting it to a couple of competitions this year to get some feedback on the flavor profile.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns