• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Oaked Show Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mondor

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Aug 18, 2015
Virginia, USA
So, if I age my traditional mead in an oak container can I still enter it in a competition, Mazer Cup for example, as a traditional or do I have to enter it into the open category? Is there any difference in aging in an oak container and using oak cubes/slats/chips, competition wise?

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
If the oak flavor is upfront or dominant, then it's considered an ingredient so you enter it in the open category. If the flavor is faint or subtle you can enter it in the traditional category. If you plan on entering in the traditional category, I suggest tasting it frequently... at least once a week. Remember, the smaller the barrel the more contact the mead has with the wood. This means the flavor absorbs faster. The oak flavor doesn't fade with time. You can over oak these. If you pay for a patron membership there's a great thread about oak barrels by Oskaar.

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
Although there was a guy on the Facebook mead maker forum who oaked his port for 6 years. Rabbit's foot Meadery has one that's been in for 16 years I think. Taste is subjective... oak the hell out of it I guess.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mondor

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Aug 18, 2015
Virginia, USA
Well I might, but for now I just want to be able to enter something into the dry traditional category and not do something that will make my mesquite traditional ineligible. It needs just a bit of body to make it pop.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Although there was a guy on the Facebook mead maker forum who oaked his port for 6 years. Rabbit's foot Meadery has one that's been in for 16 years I think. Taste is subjective... oak the hell out of it I guess.

Thi will of course depend on how used your barrel is.
Once all the good bits leech out, they're gone.
That's why bourbon barrels are used only once, making them great for mead, and why wineries dispose of them after 4 years - much more used and less flavour will impart.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Thats interesting. I always thought that traditional mead wouldn't be penalized if it was aged in oak. Considering if we were making mead 200 years ago, heck, 500 years ago, wouldn't we be using oak vessels?

Or am I thinking about clay/ceramic?

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Well I might, but for now I just want to be able to enter something into the dry traditional category and not do something that will make my mesquite traditional ineligible. It needs just a bit of body to make it pop.

I'm not positive,,,but. I think you will get some "Grip" added but not "body". I would do a small test first if your looking for body. I haven't seen that, (body) from my own experience.

storm1969

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2005
Columbia, MD
~chuckle~ I am the one that has aged my elder mead (port style) in oak for 6 (actually 7) years. But it was mostly neutral By that time. I had to add oak staves to it to get oak into it. The barrel aging was mostly for the micro evaporation and the concentration that brings. I will be bringing a couple of bottles of it to the mazer cup this year, if anyone wants to taste it.

Brian

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
That is so friggn cool man. I have a port recipe that I want to oak so badly after seeing your post. Did you use a new or old barrel?

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
Thats interesting. I always thought that traditional mead wouldn't be penalized if it was aged in oak. Considering if we were making mead 200 years ago, heck, 500 years ago, wouldn't we be using oak vessels?

Or am I thinking about clay/ceramic?

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

My guess would be quite probably. Wines went in amphorae up to Roman times, but it looks like the Romans were the ones who converted to transporting wine into oak barrels. And then they discovered the yumminess of it. http://vinepair.com/wine-101/wine-aged-oak-history-lesson/

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
~chuckle~ I am the one that has aged my elder mead (port style) in oak for 6 (actually 7) years. But it was mostly neutral By that time. I had to add oak staves to it to get oak into it. The barrel aging was mostly for the micro evaporation and the concentration that brings. I will be bringing a couple of bottles of it to the mazer cup this year, if anyone wants to taste it.

Brian

I would love a taste Storm. When you get the micro evaporation do you notice better mouthfeel? A more intense flavor. Please do tell!

storm1969

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2005
Columbia, MD
Better mouthfeel, way more intensity. I've lost through evaporation about a quarter of the barrel. That really intensifies that flavors and everything. This is a very deliberate style, there is oxynification (sp?), the color is black....

I will be starting a new batch in a week. I will put it in the brew log.

Foothiller

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Apr 1, 2015
Sierra Foothills, CA
For whatever this adds, the 2015 BJCP guidelines state: "Oak aging is allowable in any category as a subtle to noticeable enhancement without causing the mead to be an Experimental Mead; excessive oak is a fault." Another note there is: "Oak aging does not necessarily force a mead into the Experimental Mead style unless the barrel has another characteristic (such as bourbon) in addition to the wood."

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
That makes sense. I guess if you get a big whiff of "bbq" before you smell mead you are in experimental territory. I am glad to know that its still traditional even with a hint of oak. Maybe its just me but I like my rules to make sense.

Mondor

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Aug 18, 2015
Virginia, USA
I guess actually reading the guidelines would have been a good first step rather than posting here. On the other hand, I was able to glean some good info :)

Thanks foothiller

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I guess actually reading the guidelines would have been a good first step rather than posting here. On the other hand, I was able to glean some good info :)

Thanks foothiller

Are you kidding? That was a great post. I never even thought to check the guidelines. I got plenty from this thread.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns