• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Can ingredients be added after primary fermentation has begun?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
One thing you will hear a lot is to never ever throw away a mead. With time (sometimes lots of it) your maed should get better and eventually become drinkable. Bubbles mean nothing so you need to rely on your hydrometer readings. Can you do your best to describe the odor. That may help us to help you. It will/should smell like yeast until it clears. Does it smell like sulpher?

Ghost99

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 5, 2015
The mead is still quite new. Probably about a month old. The only reason I was alarmed is because when I first racked to secondary it had a really pleasing raspberry aroma and when I racked it again it was such a pungent yeast odour. It's definitely not a sulpher smell though. So maybe this is normal and we should just start bulk aging it and hope for the best after several months?

The odd thing was the hydrometer reading being so low. It was originally about 1.072 and it's dropped to .092 which seems like a lot (although I'm too new to meadmaking to really know what I'm talking about yet :) )

Nimrod

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 9, 2014
I'm relatively new, but I've made a dozen batches over the past 1.5 years.
I think that because you used less that 2.5 lbs of honey per gallon, the yeast ate every scrap possible and 0.92 makes sense. If you want it sweeter than that you'll have to step-feed.
I've also noticed that in all my batches the smells change, the tastes change, sometimes they're great, sometimes they're disgusting. Then the year mark hits and it all balances out. JAOMs, BOMMs, or recipes like yours above all take a year, IMO.

Ghost99

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 5, 2015
Ok, so this batch is about 4 weeks old now and starting to clarify nicely. We're noticing the yeast sediment is starting to accumulate at the bottom of the jugs (as expected). Should we let er' be? Or should we be racking off this?

Also, since we found our efforts tasted a bit TOO dry before, would it ok to backsweeten a bit now?

pwizard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2015
Birmingham, AL
I like to rack when there's at least a good inch of lees on the bottom or monthly, whichever is sooner. Generally, you don't want to leave the mead on the dead yeast cake for too long, especially with strains like 71B.

EbonHawk

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 24, 2014
Dothan, AL, USA
Rack, yes.

Backsweetening now is not a good idea, because it won't work (unless your yeast have somehow reached their tolerance, which I doubt). Any fermentable you add now will just get converted into alcohol. You should stabilize fermentation first, before backsweetening.

Ghost99

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 5, 2015
Alrighty, I think it's time to stabilize.

I've got some k-sorbate and k-meta, so I'll rack onto that to dissolve it and let it sit for awhile longer before backsweetening.

Ghost99

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 5, 2015
The SG has been sitting at 0.092 for a week and a half now. It's been clarifying and I'm getting buildup on the bottom of the carboy again. Looking at the mead itself closely, there isn't the faintest hint of any bubbles or fizzing at all, it's completely still.

I will add it still smells fairly unappealing. Very strong yeast smell. I guess it just takes a bit of time to sort itself out, and maybe after racking more of that yeast away it should help.

Last edited:

EbonHawk

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 24, 2014
Dothan, AL, USA
The SG has been sitting at 0.092 for a week and a half now. It's been clarifying and I'm getting buildup on the bottom of the carboy again. Looking at the mead itself closely, there isn't the faintest hint of any bubbles or fizzing at all, it's completely still.

I will add it still smells fairly unappealing. Very strong yeast smell. I guess it just takes a bit of time to sort itself out, and maybe after racking more of that yeast away it should help.
Yeah, you can't really go by any one smellin'. They go through such radical changes in aroma (smells) that they can fool ya. It sounds like it's slowed down enough that you can go on to the stabilizing step. I've heard it's a bad idea to try and stop an active one.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns