• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I think common practice is over feeding our little ones!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
Scott laboratories has a downloadable info sheet on Fermaid-O that says in original packaging, cool dry out of sunlight and not exposed to strong odors, shelf life is 4 years. I put mine in a mason jar in the freezer. I don't expect it'll last nearly that long before I use it though!

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
Might also be a good idea to portion it out into smaller quantities and vacuum seal them, then deep freeze if you're concerned about it.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Great input from Sergio. Knowing the process and what the numbers mean gives me much more confidence to use the TOSNA method. A further decrease in required Yan could be due to yeast in general needing less yan, such as was stated in Zpeckler's link. It's still quite amazing that Fermaid O is more effective than Fermaid K. Now the questin is whether or not Fermaid K has any advantages at all. Since honey is mostly absent from nutrients.. More micronutrients perhaps?

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I'm glad Sergio finally answered. I got in touch with him to see if he could clear things up for us :)

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
Sergio: Thanks for chiming in the conversation, much appreciated!! I've been using your TOSNA protocol in everything I make now, Fermaid-K leaves a bitter aftertaste in everything I've used it in; so I invested in a little over 1 kilo of Fermaid-O to make sure I had a ready supply for the future! I've still got most of my kilo sealed & stashed safely in the freezer, I'm about to break into it again though as I'm starting to run low on my working supply. Thanks again for doing all the hard work experimenting, collecting data, sifting through it all, then posting it all. Amazing stuff!

Squatchy: Thanks for getting Sergio in on this conversation, it's cleared up a lot of confusion!

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
So one more question along these same lines.
Is GoFerm an organic nutrient/vitamin supplement? And if so would it be acceptable to add this past the 8% ABV mark?
Well I guess that was two questions.

Last edited:

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
Goferm is specifically a yeast hydrating nutrient. And yes it is certified organic. But if you're looking for an organic nutrient to add for fermentation support, I recommend Fermaid-O.

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
I agree and I have some on order. Just thinking out loud and was curious if there was any experience or literature on this.
I can not seem to locate anything except one account that it was used in the first SNA to meet winemaking limits I believe on thiamin.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
So I was posting over in THIS THREAD and a link was provided for this discussion and I felt it better to pick up the topic here.

To quote what I posted:
That "effectiveness" term will be echoing confusion through these forums for years to come.

YAN is a defined term - yeast assimilable nitrogen. It is measurable. Manufacturers may provide the information. In the case of Fermaid O, 1g contains 50mg of YAN. If 1g of Fermaid O is added to 1 liter of must, it will add 50 ppm YAN - end of story.

I think it is good if we keep our facts and measurements straight.

If a person believes that the effectiveness of amino/organic nitrogen is greater, such that you only need 25 ppm to have optimal fermentation, they are entitled to their opinion, but I haven't seen much scholarly data to support that assertion.

Now to be precise, the YAN content of Fermaid O is actually 40 mg in 1 gram (40 ppm YAN when 1 gram of Fermaid O is added to 1 liter). I said 50 above and I use that as a rule of thumb because it makes doing the math in my head easier and is close enough that the yeast don't care. However, in the interest of bringing some evidence based facts to this discussion, I'll try to be precise. This number has been featured in some marketing material from Lallemand in the past, though I don't see it currently on their site. However you can see the number in THIS STUDY comparing adding Fermaid O to DAP in a wine must.

This TOSNA protocol confuses an "effective amount" of YAN with and actual measurable amount. First of all, I don't understand where anyone gets the notion that Amino Acid nitrogen is 5 times more effective than Ammonium nitrogen. I've never seen that documented - anywhere. There is one study that I recall showing the use of bee pollen where adding 30 g/L produced 120 ppm YAN and was considered to be the optimal dosing for that particular mead. The study can be found linked to a thread on pollen if you search the forums. In any case, the YAN provided by pollen is essentially all amino/organic nitrogen and you still needed 120 ppm.

I'm sure you can ferment musts successfully using the TOSNA protocol. Heck, you can ferment successfully using no nitrogen additions if you pay a little extra care. Nevertheless, countless studies have shown that wine musts need approximately 140 ppm YAN as a minimum to produce optimal fermentation. So far the evidence I have seen suggests that honey musts are similar.

If anyone has scientific evidence that using Organic nitrogen is 5 times more effective than Ammonium nitrogen, please share it so we can review the data and learn from it. In the meantime, I'd strongly encourage everyone to refer to their YAN content by its actual weight/amount rather than by some "effectiveness" level that creates confusion, especially for newbees.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Speculation:
Maybe part of the reason Tosna works for melovino meadery is because they use 71b (or do they?), which Lallemand list as needing "Very low requirement in assimilable nitrogen" http://www.lallemandyeast.com/company/products/71b-1122-wine-yeast
Although, then again lallemand list 71b as needing low nitrogen requirements here (vs very low) here http://www.lallemandwine.com/products/catalogue/product-detail/?range=9&id=76 so it could not mean anything, especially since low and very low are hardly scientific terms. Anyway, maybe 71b has lower than average nitrogen requirements and the overall provided nitrogen could be lessened a bit, but this is almost speculation.

Studies/Documents:
First off, Lallemand's number provided for Fermaid O in my link to the french pdf in this thread (and in the other thread) states that 1g Fermaid O provides the equivalent of 100ppm yan. The link by Zpeckler which leads to a batch calculator (in a google doc) also estimates 1g Fermaid O to provide over 100ppm yan per liter.

The study provided by medsen states that "At identical doses of added yan, the preparation based on amino acids from yeast has shown to be more effective than 100% ammonium nitrogen" (pg 3). So here again the study goes into effectiveness rather than just yan values.
I don't think the study is actually trying to measure the equivalent effectiveness unless I am missing something, so it doesn't get to the point of 5 times more effective. But it does get to 3-4x more effective than dap (3-4x also being quoted in Zpeckler's link):
"With only 15mg/l of yan added, the 40g/hl of organic nitrogen is as effective as the 50mg/l of the diammonium sulphate" (pg 6)
I.e. yan for yan, Fermaid O is at least 3.3 times more effective (50 divided by 15). I wouldn't be surprised if someone were to test the limit of Fermaid O and find it to be even more effective.

ScottBehrens

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Aug 26, 2012
Vero Beach, FL
The Cider Handbook mentions '3-5x as effective'. They use the words 'has been shown to be'. Who showed them I don't know. It sure wasn't me.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Any link and page number kernel?
I just downloaded a cider handbook and can't find this information. "Has been shown to be" seems to be a common enough phrase by Lallemand and features 5 times in the handbook I downloaded. I have found in some places on the internet people referring to a study by Lallemand which says exactly this 3-5x amount, but unfortunately they never gave a link. With this showing up in the cider handbook I at least have more confidence that this study actually exists
Side note: That phrase is just a way of minimizing liability. For example, if a scientist does a good job he would say "I can find through my experiment...", while if he is not too proud he could say "we could find through my experiment...". The 'we' in the second case is asking the reader to look at information together, thus splitting the responsibility. I did an assignment on the use of 'we' for my degree in English and that was actually part of a study ;)
Edit: I suspect you were referring to the 2013-2014 handbook, which from my brief browsing seems to have not been easily made available online

Last edited:

zpeckler

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
Newark, De
Like Medsen and many others, I too am frustrated with measurements of the absolute vs effective YAN of Fermaid-O.

These days I'm using the TOSNA protocol for pretty much every mead I make (with the exception of hydromels) and have gotten great results with 71B, K1V, Wyeast 3711, and Wyeast 1388. I'm currently fermenting a 29°Br must using R2 for the first time, which has "high" nitrogen requirements per Lallemand. Things are progressing as expected with that batch. No major issues so far, but the proof will be in the pudding when the final mead is finished.

What I'd like to do to clarify exactly how much YAN the yeast are getting from Fermaid-O is get out a calculator and covert the TOSNA Fermaid-O dosages to absolute ppm YAN and g/L. I'd also like to set up an experiment using all Fermaid-O comparing the YAN levels recommended by TOSNA to the usual levels. Say, TOSNA vs 200ppm vs 300ppm, or something to that effect.

zpeckler

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
Newark, De
All right, TOSNA in terms of absolute YAN. This is "back of the envelope" so if my math is wrong let me know.

1g/gal=0.26g/L Rounded to 0.25g/L since TOSNA is supposed to be simple.

Assuming Fermaid-O gives 40mg/L absolute YAN if dosed at 1g/L, per Lallemand's publications and the white paper I linked to earlier in the thread.

0.25g/L Fermaid-O would give you 10mg/L absolute YAN.

For example, a 21° brix, 3.8L must. TOSNA says you need 200mg/L effective YAN. Following the TOSNA protocol, this would mean 50mg/L effective YAN * 4, so 1g/gal * 4.... 4g Fermaid-O for a 3.8L must.

4g Fermaid-O in 3.8L (round to 4L) gives you about 40mg/L absolute YAN.

Therefore, the revised TOSNA protocol for absolute YAN would be:
Flagrantly copied directly from MeadMadeRight.com

How much Fermaid-O do you need?

The amount of required nutrient addition is based on your starting gravity. For an easier calculation convert to Brix and figure out your target mg of nitrogen per liter using the following as a starting point:

21°Bx = 40 mgN/L absolute YAN
23°Bx = 50 mgN/L absolute YAN
25°Bx = 60 mgN/L absolute YAN
27°Bx = 70 mgN/L absolute YAN

0.25g/L of Fermaid-O = 10mgN/L absolute YAN
(always measure by weight, invest in a good grams scale)

Here is how to easily calculate your TOTAL Fermaid-O:

Target mgN/L (see above) divided by 10, then multiply by starting liters, then multiply by 0.25.

​That will be how many TOTAL grams of Fermaid-O you will need.

You can divide the final number by 4 to get the grams of each individual nutrient addition you will be adding as follows:

​- The first nutrient addition happens 24-hours after yeast pitch.
- Then at the 48 & 72 hour marks after yeast pitch.
- Final nutrient addition is on Day 7 after yeast pitch, or when fermentation has reached its 1/3 sugar break, whichever comes first.​​
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone please check my math. These absolute YAN numbers are crazy low, which makes me suspect I've made a calculation error. If not, then it goes back to the original topic of this thread... are we overfeeding our yeast?

Last edited:

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Lallemand state that 30g/hl provides 30ppm here http://www.icv.fr/en/oenological-products/activators-nutrients/fermaid-o therefore:
10g/hl = 10ppm
0.1g/l = 10ppm
1g/l = 100ppm
This is a suspiciously round number and is also the exact number quoted for fermaid k at least in zpeckler's link, which makes me think Lallemand are not 100% accurate when quoting yan ppm in their products...
I still do not know how much yan yeast need and how much yan products provide. From what l've read the TOSNA approach seems the best way to go in most cases. I might re-evaluate for high requirement yeasts or for high gravity musts

I looked at this and came to the conclusion that you did which is that Lallemand's info seems somewhat inconsistent. I am contacting them to ask for some clarification and will let folks know if I get a reply.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns