FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!

Thread: Clarifying (Fining) Peach Melomel

Default Clarifying (Fining) Peach Melomel

Folks,

Question on fining a peach melomel prior to bottling.

I have a peach melomel (2.5 gals), about 148 days old, which I want to bottle. At day 90, and after the second racking, I added Pectinase to reduce the pectin level. I have racked it a total 3 times and have filtered it through a series of fine mesh almond milk nut bags. The mead is still cloudy with minute pieces of peach, etc. I have added K-metabitesulfate (Campden tables) and Potassium Sorbate in prep for bottling (to still the yeasties). Now I want to clarify it more.

Hence the question - which is a better approach
    1) Bentonite clay - mix in very hot water, add to the must and stir 2x a day for 3 days and let settle out, then rack the clear to bottles
    2) Egg Whites - one egg white, whisked together with 1/4 cup water and then mixed well with the mead and let settle - then rack the clear to bottles. (not sure if I stir any more)
    3) ? (Advise me of a better solution).

Looking for guidance - how to clarify a fruit mead made with a fruit puree.

BTW, it tastes awesome and want to see what aging will do for it.

Thanks
    MrCyphyr
    "...I have seen many great people brought down by not doing the simple, but important things right."

You will need to rack it off the gunk. Toss the gunk. Then fine it with Superkleer. I don't like bentonite because it leaves a muddy flavor in the mead. I do use bentonite if I want something to clear faster than normal. I like to age my meads on the fine lees for a while. But if I am not going that route. Then I add dry bentonite prior to pitching and it clears up fairly quick once fermentation is over.

BTW, Google works very well for standard questions like these. And we have a search here in the forum.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Thanks Squatchy,

I have ordered the SuperKleer and will utilize. Interesting discussion on use - some folks separate the application of D1 and D2 by 24/48 hours yet the instruction have them added right after each other. How did you apply the SuperKleer. Also, you mentioned that you have used Bentonite prior to pitching.. have you ever used it shortly after pitching (8 days) during the primary fermentation process? There is some forum discussions on using it during fermentation (the CO2 bubble help to circulate the charged particles and they statically bond to more particles. What has your experience show you?

Thanks
    MrCyphyr
    "...I have seen many great people brought down by not doing the simple, but important things right."

I am going to do a little experimenting..
    1. I will use SuperKleer on the Peach melomel - at day 160.
    2. I will use bentonite on the Ancient Viking Mead (Raisin) - at day 10
    3. I will use the SuperKleer in a Cyser - at day 90

And will compare results (time to clear, quality of fining, and taste)..
    MrCyphyr

As some people say that fining agents can strip out flavor, part of your experiment should include tasting before and after.

https://winemakermag.com/26-a-cleare...-fining-agents

Thanks Darigoni, good point.
    MrCyphyr

Almost always using superklear. It's becomes really clear after just the first addition. So I don't add part two unless I need to. A few days of part one will tell you if you need part two. If you do just add it and stir the hell out of it

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    Almost always using superklear. It's becomes really clear after just the first addition. So I don't add part two unless I need to. A few days of part one will tell you if you need part two. If you do just add it and stir the hell out of it
    Thanks.. Appreciate it. now lets see what happens..
    MrCyphyr

With the bentonite. Rack off of it as soon as you can. Next batch just add it bone dry at pitch and see how that works