• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cold crashing?

Barrel Char Wood Products

djsxxx

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2016
United kingdom
It's been nearly two weeks since I started my first mead (a jaom type thing) and bubbling has pretty much come to a stop.

I have been reading these forums and came across the subject of degassing... ended up buying a food saver vacuum which I used to suck all the co2 out.

This has now made all the orange sink to the bottom, good stuff.

I plan on leaving it for another week to let the yeast clean itself up, after that I'll rack it.

Now, what's the deal with cold crashing? I've read that it helps the mead clear, so should I rack and then immediately stick it in the fridge?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Wait and see if it will clear on it's own for a while. Or, if your in a hurry you can cold crash it FIRST and after it clears in the fridge then rack it.

djsxxx

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2016
United kingdom
So after a week in the fridge, I took the mead out, and within about 4 days it was crystal clear! Couldn't believe it

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Dude. Relax. JAOM needs 100 days. You're cheating yourself of the amazing flavor this mead can achieve if you artificially rush it. I was EXACTLY like you when I started and was looking for the one month mead. Trouble is, while there are meads that are DRINKABLE at one month and even pretty darn good like BOMM, even BOMM gets so much better with aging that once you've done it, it's rarely acceptable to drink it before it's time. But that's cool. Everyone needs to go through the "hurry up...I want to drink my mead" phase. If you stick with it, you'll come around.

The solution is to have a LOT of mead bubbling away, clearing in secondary, aging in tertiary and bottled all at the same time. Then you don't feel the need to rush. Or make a batch of beer at the same time you make a batch of JAOM... you can drink the beer while you wait for the JAOM. :)

djsxxx

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2016
United kingdom
Haha I'm in no real rush to get this mead done. I was just initially curious as to cold crashing because I had seen it mention a couple times.

Any way, as my mead was clear I decided to bottle it. So now it's at the back of the cupboard where it'll stay few a good few months.

On to the next batch!

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Haha I'm in no real rush to get this mead done. I was just initially curious as to cold crashing because I had seen it mention a couple times.

Any way, as my mead was clear I decided to bottle it. So now it's at the back of the cupboard where it'll stay few a good few months.

On to the next batch!

Have you given it a taste? Good JAOM is sweet with an aroma so good only sourpusses don't like it.

djsxxx

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2016
United kingdom
Have you given it a taste? Good JAOM is sweet with an aroma so good only sourpusses don't like it.
I have tasted it, and well it's ok... Wouldn't want more than a shot of it though. Just tastes of very alcoholic orange. The smell though, smells amazing! Can smell the honey coming through, just can't taste it yet.

This was my first batch so I don't expect it to taste great

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
From pitch. It should drop clear and most if not all the fruit should be on the bottom at that time. Then the best thing to do is rack it into another 1 gallon carboy leaving as much of the sediment behind as you can, top it up with water and let it age for another few months under an airlock. It gets really good at one year.

But after the first 100 days it should be good enough to drink. This is why I started making 5 gallon batches. The one gallon never made it past the first month after I racked it. :)

At one year it starts to mellow and gets very smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djsxxx

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2016
United kingdom
Didn't wait too long before drinking it... Got a little impatient.

However, I did put one bottle away which has yet to be opened. Going to crack it open on its year birthday :)

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Most important is to be making more! Don't wait! Make it now! Tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns