FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!

Thread: Honey and Agave

Default Honey and Agave

Ok, here's the story, a buddy of mine was talking about how he's made a wine from Agave Nectar. Well that got me to thinking about it so, when I started a batch of JAO I started a gallon batch with Agave. Now if I blend the two what would that become, an Agave Mead? Last time I took a sample to get an SG I did blend a couple of sips and have to admit, it was pretty tasty

Cheers
    If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the Dragon!

2. Default

I am interested in how this turns out. The Mrs. Is a big tequila fan. Does the agave leave a tequila like flavour?

Years ago I made a mead and used a darker shade of agave for about half of the sugar. It was pleasant. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboyc View Post
    I am interested in how this turns out. The Mrs. Is a big tequila fan. Does the agave leave a tequila like flavour?
    I think a good bit of tequila's flavor comes from the barrels they age it in. Think of a silver tequila. That is closer to a plain agave flavor.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    I think a good bit of tequila's flavor comes from the barrels they age it in. Think of a silver tequila. That is closer to a plain agave flavor.
    That's what I was wondering about everything else can be approximated with oak and time.