Thread: No bubbling....

Default No bubbling....

I started a 5 gallon batch of blueberry mead yesterday.

10 lbs honey
    1 gallon of blue berries
    3 Oz ginger
    2 lemons
    2 limes.
    3 teaspoons of yeast activator.
    RedStar Cote des blanc yeast

I sanitized the equipment/bucket with One Step.
    I simmered the honey in water (2 gallons), diced and added the ginger, boiled for 10 minutes.
    I added the blue berries, lemons, limes and yeast activator and transferred to the bucket.
    Added water and aerated the batch for 5 minutes or more.
    I stated the yeast with a teaspoon of sugar, waited till it started frothing and then added it to the batch.
    Covered and added the bubbler.

Simple really, but not one bubble, it does not lift the cap. Nothing...

What did I do wrong? What can I do to get it started?

2. Default

Had the must cooled down before you pitched the yeast.
    What is the ph of your must?

It was about 110 degrees. I know it was hot. Temp now is about 68 degrees. No idea on the PH

4. Default

I would wait foe another day and see what happens. You sound like you probably thermal shocked your yeast. If nothing happens in a day of so you might want to re-pitch some more yeast. This time you might want to aclimatize you yeast to within 10 degrees of the must temperature prior to pitching.

With the lemon,lime, and blueberry you might have a fairly acid must as honey is very poorly buffered. If you have can get some pH strips or a meter this would definitely be worth checking.
    If the must is very acid. Less than 3.2pH you should consider adding some carbonate or bicarbonate as the pH will continue to drop during fermentation.

Things to consider but just give it another day before you get too worked up.

I've had a few batches with a 2-3 day lag phase.

Take farmboyc's advice and check ph levels.

Also, bubbles don't really mean much, my current 20 litre batch isn't bubbling at all, that's because it's not quite air tight. I knows it fermenting because of gravity readings

In future recipes you might want to cut the lemons and limes because of ph problems. Adding lemons is an old practice which the vast majority of mazers shy away from nowadays
    Boiling the must is debatable. Most mazers seem to prefer the no boil method but I suspect boiling could make better mead at least in some cases. If you're boiling for sanitation reasons I think 10 mins is overkill if I remember correctly. I sometimes heat the must on a very low flame for a few minutes to hopefully pasteurize the must just to avoid using too much chemicals. I hit the mead with metabisulphite after fermentation though
    Last edited by Stasis; 03-12-2016 at 06:00 PM.
    "Shouldn’t we say wine is a mead-like beverage made with grapes substituted for the honey?" - Steve Piatz

I agrree, too early to worry just yet. If it doesn't start up soon I would add some carbonate and repitch. Make sure to attemperate. Temp shock could kill off half the yeast right off the bat and leave the other ones mutants.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    Temp shock could kill off half the yeast right off the bat and leave the other ones mutants.
    I could understand heat just killing yeast, but how can heat cause mutation like that? What happens if you have a big population of mutant yeast instead of normal strain?

It's not the heat per say. It's the shock from being dumped into a must that is more than 10 degrees different than the temp of the slurry.

Read this ,,, http://scottlab.com/uploads/document..._Lallemand.pdf
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

It wasn't a roll boil, but enough to make bubbles along the edge of the pot. I threw in the skins of the lemons and limes to get the oils from the skin.
    It started bubbling after driving to the zymurgist for the PH strips. Missed by 5 minutes... Had a great dinner with my daughter, then on return found the batch bubbling!

My Social Networking

Follow Mazer828 On Twitter Add Mazer828 on Facebook Add Mazer828 on Google+
    Visit Mazer828's Youtube Channel

I cut my teeth boiling, having evolved into meadmaking from home brewing. Then I took on Ken Schramm's no boil pasteurization method for a while. For the last several years though, it's been no heat at all for me.

Have to say, I've had some spectacular meads come out of all the methods.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Then glory in battle to Hrothgar was given, waxing of war-fame, that willingly kinsmen obeyed his bidding, till the boys grew to manhood, a numerous band. It burned in his spirit to urge his folk to found a great building, a mead-hall grander than men of the era ever had heard of, and in it to share with young and old all of the blessings the Lord had allowed him, save life and retainers." - Beowulf

Generally, I only heat if there's some grainy honey I need to get out of a bottle and dissolve.