• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Dog detects foulbrood at early stages

Barrel Char Wood Products

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
Awesome idea. Foulbrood has a distinctively nasty smell to it.

Though, for those new to beekeeping, Varroa mites are the most common and destructive problem facing US beekeepers right now, and hives infected with foulbrood are torched not treated (for hobbyists and non-pollinators, at least). The foulbrood spores are mighty resistant to treatment, and can be dormant for decades. If you keep an infected hive alive, you're treating with antibiotics permanently, and risk infecting the rest of your apiary by leaving the contaminated hive intact.

Nasty stuff, foulbrood.

Cobrac

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 6, 2016
Västra Götaland, Sweden
There are two types of foulbrood if not mistaken. European and American. And the American has two variants, one that is extremely fast and one that is not so fast in their destruction of the brood. Since the bee hive is an super organism they are dangerous in two different ways. The fast one kills the brood before it has been capped and therefore are very deadly at an individual level, and the bees themselves takes care of the dead brood by take it out of the hive. And as a beekeeper you will not notice this one if it hasn't contaminated very many broods. The slower one is a much bigger threat since it can infect very many broods due to its slower acting. They keep reproducing them selves until they attack the brood and kills it. This is more dangerous to the whole hive society. But the faster one is more dangerous, but on a individual level. And yes, you have to kill them all by fire. And your equipment that has bern in contact with the infected hive. I live in Sweden and here its illegal to keep hives with foul brood. Maybe it is in other countries as well don't know. However another issue is that hunters sometimes use honey to lure bears when they hunt. And honey is a source of spreading dormant foul brood spores. And bees that searches for nectar or food will prefer already done honey. This is also a source of spreading.

Cobrac

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 6, 2016
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Awesome idea. Foulbrood has a distinctively nasty smell to it.

Though, for those new to beekeeping, Varroa mites are the most common and destructive problem facing US beekeepers right now, and hives infected with foulbrood are torched not treated (for hobbyists and non-pollinators, at least). The foulbrood spores are mighty resistant to treatment, and can be dormant for decades. If you keep an infected hive alive, you're treating with antibiotics permanently, and risk infecting the rest of your apiary by leaving the contaminated hive intact.

Nasty stuff, foulbrood.

Regarding varroa I assume that you also use oxalic solution directly into the hive just before off-season?

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
Regarding varroa I assume that you also use oxalic solution directly into the hive just before off-season?

I use MAQs just prior to the fall flow. They've worked well for me so far, and if there's any queen loss then I have a chance to requeen or combine before the weather turns.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns