Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Read this about aeration. Better mead making techniques!!!

1. Default

this seems like a good thread to ask this.. I have been aerating with the wine stirrer bit for my powerdrill. did once the first day, took a reading at 1.110, added fermaid-o. aerating twice on day 2, added fermaid-o. today is day 3 and i aerated this morning, plan on doing it again tonight before i add my third pitch of fermaid-o. however, im sitting here thinking about how good it seems to be fermenting, and if i might possibly be at the 1/3 sugar break already. Im going to test tonight and see if i need to aerate again.. My question is, if i did hit it already, and i aerated this morning, did i do any damage to my batch?

You're fine. You don't have anything to worry about.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

3. Default

Squatchy is right; you have nothing to worry about.

I routinely oxygenate until the 1/2 sugar-break; past that, you run the risk of sherry-like flavors and other off-flavors. Ken Schramm cites 10% ABV as a limiting guideline. Very few meads exceed 20% ABV when finished, so the 10% guideline effectively meets (or even exceeds) the 1/2 sugar break for most meads. I stick with the 1/2 break because it is a rule of thumb that has worked well for me and because, if anything, it errs on the side of caution.

See Ken's article "Optimizing Honey Fermentation" (Zymurgy, November/December, 2005), which I am attaching. It is full of both experimental data and insight into the inner workings and hidden mechanisms of the mead fermentations.

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

Eärendil
    Miruvor Maker and Eternal NewBee
    Mithlond Meadery, Grey Havens, Eriador
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Earendil; 11-23-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234