Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Default Back to Basics: Honey!

Our topic for the upcoming show is honey!

If there is something you want to ask us about honey, please post your question here!

If you have experience with particular varietals that you would like to share live on the air, please contact Vicky through one of the many available methods, and let her know how to contact you so we can pull you into the show! Or you can just call in to the show, don't worry about interrupting us
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Default Is unfiltered honey always best?

I have often read about the evils of filtered honey.
    Dutch Gold honey is filtered but it has been highly regarded in the past for mead making.
    Can you shed some light on this subject?

Dazed and confused,
    Evolving Caveman
    Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one remembers to turn on the light.
    J.K. Rowling in the voice of Dumbledore

We will definitely discuss that! Short answer though, filtration (straining out bee parts etc) is not so much of a problem as microfiltration (straining out everything including the pollen).
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014