• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Reduce tannin?

Barrel Char Wood Products

djsxxx

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2016
United kingdom
Is there anyway to reduce that tannin flavor you get from fruit in mead? Will it just age out?

Recipe overview:

Total volume 19L
Total honey 7.3Kg (added over time)
1.4Kg Raspberries
2.0Kg Strawberries + Blueberries
10g Cote des Blancs

Usual GoFerm rehydration

OG: 1.110

Fruit added @ 1.034, 4 days after pitch

Fruit removed @ 1.004, 7 days after pitch, honey added up to 1.020

@ 1.010 added honey up to 1.025, 9 days after pitch (this was today, and still has a bitter/tannin edge to it)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
I wouldn't worry about it much at 9 days after pitch. The flavour will change radically over the first few months.
Patience grasshopper.

djsxxx

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2016
United kingdom
I wouldn't worry about it much at 9 days after pitch. The flavour will change radically over the first few months.
Patience grasshopper.
If it wasn't for the tannin I'd be drinking this now!

But yeah, just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to be stuck with that bitter taste

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
I understand that egg whites can help soften a tannin bite and help with finning.

zpeckler

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
Newark, De
Give it time, my friend. I think things will be quite different after a few months aging.

I can't say that I have any experience with adding egg whites, but if excess tannins remain a problem then blending is always an option.

djsxxx

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2016
United kingdom
Yeah sorry, I should have said in original post, I know it's a very young batch, just wanted to know if tannin aged out, or if the tannins I have now will always be there.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns