• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Seemingly slow fermentation

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dwhite

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
Making a traditional mead to rack onto some peaches when done.
Seems like it is working rather slow.

Put together on 7/17/16
8.25 lbs clover honey
3 gallons water
3 tsp. Diammonium phosphate.
3 grams Fermaid-K
O.G 1.085
2 packages D-47. Re-hydrated per package instructions.One was probably a year old but stored refrigerated. The other was new.

Current gravity is 1.045. Acidity 3.6 (About 4.0 on 7/20). Expected this to be further along after seven days.

Fermenting this in a cooler at 61-65F. Too cold?

What do you think?

All the Best,
D. White

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
I would say it is likely the lower temp that are reducing your fermentation rate.
If your in a hurry you could warm things up but you will likely have a better product if you just leave things where they are and wait.
JM2C

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I would try to keep it a 65 ratherthan 61. That's very close to the bottom range. Yes it is running slow. How long was lag? Did you pitch your must at the same temp as your yeast slurry? Did you rehydrate in plain water?

zpeckler

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
Newark, De
No nasty smells or anything funky like that?

If it's just slow because of the temp, then you're probably still on track to make a fine mead. I agree that 65F should be a fine temp to ferment D47 at. It really doesn't like anything above 68F, though.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns