• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

A Mead Boom Coming?

Barrel Char Wood Products

BlackFriarsMonastery

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 10, 2016
Teaneck,NJ
Mead, it seems, may be coming in for a lot more attention. Bloomberg News recently just carried a big article about mead, some of its history, the process, and some notable meaderies and mazers. Inexplicably, the headline of the article also associates mead with Hobbits, which, as anyone who's read The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings knows, hardly makes an appearance (if any) in the books.

Mead: It's Not Just for Hobbits Anymore

Still, this may be the time when mead starts its move out of the niche corners and into the mainstream, and all you old-timers around here will be able to say, I was drinking and making mead before it became a fad.

As I mentioned in another post, although I've only just begun making my own mead in recent months, I've drunk it and celebrated it for several years now. And as a financial writer by day, I've tried to do my part to boost the industry's prospects. A couple of years ago I wondered whether mead would be able to knock off beer as the next adult beverage growth drink. Perhaps that time is here.

Could This Be the Next Beer-Killing Beverage?

Rich

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
There's no doubt that mead has been rising in popularity, but as far as knocking out beer, it may be a while. Even though it does adhere to the marketing wisdom of "be first or be different" beer is a long established product that, unlike taxi cabs, (using uber as en example) no one is really waiting for a "better" replacement. Most people love beer, so mead isn't going to knock it out of the top spot. However, taking into consideration where mead was even only five years ago, it's safe to say we are at the beginning of a big wave in popularity. Where there was usually only one or maybe two bottles of mead on the shelf (Chaucer's) there are now at least 10. That's a huge increase!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns