• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Meat Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

jamessmcinnes

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 28, 2016
I've read mead is one of the most versatile things to make. People have made spicy meads, bitter meads, sweet meads, savoury meads. Meads with fruits, or meads with Veg.

My question is, Can you make a meat mead. Would it work?

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
I am a vegetarian and so have never tried adding animals to my wines - but classic beer books refer to recipes with added chicken and shell fish and the like (see books by Papazian, for example). Apart from the moral/political/economic issues of using animals for food, I am not sure how concerned you might need to be about spoilage and food poisoning and if the amount of acidity and alcohol in the mead will prevent the growth of such bacteria.

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
Look at the Bacon Boom experiment on Denards Brewing website. He has been experimenting with a "Breakfast Mead"

kwojdak

NewBee
Registered Member
I sampled a Spam Mead at NHC 2015 in San Diego and it was quite disgusting. The thought of it was off but I was intrigued enough to try it. Now, that's not to say the maker didn't just make a poor mead but it wasn't a good flavor profile. It was gaggable.

On the flipside, we had a guy in our brew club make turkey beer a few years back and that was almost as bad as the Spam Mead. It was salty and meaty with a slightly beery flavor but it just didn't work either.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I think the closest we can get to a "meaty" flavor in mead is to add smoke flavoring. In my mind "meat mead" is called broth. Add a shot of vodka to a nice flavorful broth and you have what I imagine as "meat mead". Add some honey to the broth/vodka combo and you have what my brain sees as "sweet meat mead". :).

Actually, a strong beef broth base (like a small dollop of "Better Than Broth") would probably enhance a Bloody Mary.

That said, I think anything is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns