• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

medicinal mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

cataclysmicvariable

NewBee
Registered Member
I live in northern California and have been a medical cannabis user for 7 years. we have many stores throughout the state that are selling medical honey infused with cannabis. here we are legally allowed to grow cannabis so it is easier to obtain our cannabis in bulk and make our own infused honey... but why stop there? Scientists from Sweden hypothesize that mead could be the secret to helping us fight illness and avoid antibiotic resistance. All thanks to its key ingredient: honey. It’s clear that honey is incredible in its own right, but infusing it with cannabis may make it even more of a healing powerhouse. Some former cancer patients are claiming that the cannabinoid CBD may be effective at curing cancer. Cannabidiol or CBD is a natural constituent of hemp. CBD has endless positive health benefits including being an antioxidant and neuro-protectant. check out US GOVERNMENT PATENT (#6,630,507)... This honey and cannabis tincture is effective because the cannabis has already been decarboxylated. This process, that typically uses heat to transform the THC into THCA, is simple and just requires an extra step before infusing your honey. If you want a less psychoactive tincture, you can skip the decarboxylation process and go straight to the slow cooker step.
Step 1: Decarboxylation
Preheat oven to 240°
Spread onto a pyrex baking dish (or a baking sheet if it’s what you have on hand): 1-2 oz. of high quality organic sugar trim or buds
Cover with foil or another baking sheet. Bake trim/buds for 1 hour.
Cool and store in an airtight container until use.
Step 2: Infusion
Wrap decarboxylated cannabis in a large piece of double layered cheesecloth and tie using an old twist tie or a piece of string.
Place the satchel of cannabis into the crockpot and add: 1- 5 lb container of honey (local if possible or if you’re using this tincture to alleviate allergy symptoms)
Set the slow cooker to low. Honey may simmer a bit, but should never come to a boil. Check your tincture often and switch the slow cooker to warm or off if it gets too hot.
Keep the heat on for 4-8 hours. Turn off the crockpot and let your satchel stay in the mixture until cool or overnight.
Remove and save the satchel to make some cannabis infused tea.
Pour honey into sterilized mason jars.
Step 3: Add to your mead recipe...

businesses that sell medical cannabis infused honey:
http://www.honeypotbear420.com/products/
https://coloradohemphoney.com/
http://www.genesispharms.com/cbd-honey-sticks/

THIS POST IS NOT MEANT TO INSPIRE ANYONE TO BREAK LAWS, NOT ONLY IS CANNABIS LEGAL WHERE I LIVE BUT MANY OTHER STATES ARE FOLLOWING SUIT.
heal thyself. don't run from the cure!

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
I cannot endorse cannabis infused honey as this should not be done without the direction of a physician- in a state where it is legal only.

dingurth

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 23, 2012
Brooklyn , NY
Scientists from Sweden hypothesize that mead could be the secret to helping us fight illness and avoid antibiotic resistance. All thanks to its key ingredient: honey. !

This sounds like an interesting experiment where legal, but I would love a link to the Swedes' work if you have it.

Swordnut

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 26, 2013
Holland
I will start by stating that "ex cancer patients state that cannabis may cure cancer" is both anecdotal and not scientifically justified. So if you're looking for a medicine for cancer, please be aware that there is no scientific veracity in these claims. They may very well have been cured by mainstream medicine while simultaneously using cannabis to alleviate some symptoms; thus erroneously concluding that it was the cannabis which cured them.

Going past that and coming to the topic of mead (this is a mead forum after all), the cannabis plant is a herb and thus adding it to a mead will result in a "metheglin" a so-called spiced mead. There are plenty of good recipes for it. The part of the cannabis plant which contains the active substance is an oil. This would lead me to believe that one should treat them like hops, dry them out and let them soak in the must for at most 9 days so that the oil leeches into the must. Then rack them off to prevent a 'grassy taste' being imparted from the plant material. Doing it like this it results more in a soothing drink (like a soothing tea) than a wildly psychoactive drug (like the tincture idea) and could be beneficial to patients suffering from the symptoms of some illnesses or their treatments.

THAT SAID! DO NOT BREAK ANY LAWS AND CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR IF YOU CAN COMBINE YOUR REGULAR MEDICINE WITH ALCOHOL!

p.s. the thing that's resistant to antibiotics are the bacteria who've been exposed too a lot of antibiotics and have grown biologically immune to them. This is because we use it too often and too much. The best solution is to temper our antibiotics treatments and stop using it with ever sniffle and runny nose or as a standard 'preventative measure' in hospitals. In fact, its our diminishing cleanliness in hospitals which requires preventative antibiotics while at the same time the introduction of antibiotics as a medicine lead to the diminished cleanliness in the first place.

michael.jordan

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2017
SO
I will have a video on this on my YouTube site.
you just look for 52 meads in a year.
I make a mead a week and more, but one of the videos that we filmed and will be out next month will be our med mead.
it is made in Colorado and I was able to show it off and how to make it at the AMMA 2017 in Colorado before the Mazer Cup.

I had great reviews on it and Vicky Rowe loved it.

we call our med mead.
Sleepy Time Medical mead.

It has sleepy time tea, hops, CBD, THC, and Oranges in it.

It was a big hit at the AMMA.

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
I think that their message has gotten garbled. Their premise is that lactic acid bacteria (which they've cultivated from honeybee stomachs) may have antimicrobial uses. Their campaign was to be able to mass-produce the lactic acid bacteria, and then infuse them into various products (such as food and mead) for the campaign rewards.

Cobrac

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 6, 2016
Västra Götaland, Sweden
I think I started a thread about this for several months ago, anyhow, I will this season try to tax my bees before they have capped it on the frames and ferment it. This is a quite nasty way to steal honey due to that I have to visit the hives once a week and open it up. This will therefore stress them more. And I must have control over how much I take every time so that Im not leaving them with to little left. That will be devastating for the broods...

Sent from mTalk

antonioh

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2013
Lisbon - Portugal
I think that their message has gotten garbled. Their premise is that lactic acid bacteria (which they've cultivated from honeybee stomachs) may have antimicrobial uses.

Yes.

And all the research articles listed refer to this and to honey. None refers to mead. It´s common knowledge that honey has antibiotic properties and it´s used in wound treatment. You can find tons of works about this in Pubmed.
But mead is another story . The process of fermentation may destroy the enzimes. In the same site (Pubmed), you will find none about mead...

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
There is a shitton of reasearch in this areas, but its hard to make progress and the media tend to be extreme.
I know about the field and i've developed a brutal skepticism when i read biology articles in newspapers.
This seems to me about the same.
Here is some info about lactic acid bacteria http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/1040841X.2010.536522
So why do i say this is an exageration? sure, LABs have been demonstrated to be good. But from there to cure cancer and perform miracles...yeah, no. Same goes for marijuana (well not really, i dont think its good at all, but i'll admit to not being enough informed on the issue).
The fact that LABs are present in honey and mead is interesting, but what are the differences between those ones and the ones in, say, a yogurt or cheese? Are they retained in the organism or not? What kind of effects do they have long term? Plus, intestinal microbiota is extremely complicated, not just LABs

I am all for investigation but the newspaper articles are just super exagerated to attract people to read them.

About mead articles, well just give them time. It took them little years to massively start to research polypenols, and resveratrol (present in wine) etc etc. Mead is less common than wine so it will take time but surely someone will be interested in promoting mead by doing that. Probably related to gluconic acid.
And antonioh, yes, the enzimes get destroyed anyway when you eat it (so yeah it may have an effect on wounds or sore throats but once it gets to the stomach...). And if the ferment does not break them (which i think it does not, because yeast cant assimilate proteins) they precipitate. But keep in mind there might be other compounds (secondary metabolites from plants most likely) that are indeed kept and even absorbed by the human body. Actually if we want mead to be more healthy we should just drink it with yeast and cloudy. Think about it, someone else makes money selling beer yeast complements to people...

Also, when you read this kind of articles, keep in mind where the experiment was made. Cultured cells or mice are not the same as humans and things work different many times.
And that's it for today's rant!

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
The press and the media in general report on research . They don't perform the research and the PR offices that promote the research findings may rewrite the research to make it more .. um.. palatable and understandable to the people who purchase the newspapers so what the research in fact suggests and what the stories in the press in fact report may be quite different. Science writers are not themselves researchers but people who can bring to life the hard and boring work of research... But it would be poor science that assumes that mice process anything in ways similar to humans without additional evidence that in this or that case there is good reason to make that assumption...

antonioh

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2013
Lisbon - Portugal
Mice are diferente from humans, but not very different... they are also mamals and they process many things in a diferente way we do but, they also have similar pathways for some methabolic routes. Even with bees we share the goup of citocrome P 450 pathways...

Many successful drugs tested in mice don´t apply in humans the same way. For instance chemoterapy used in most kinds of cancer , is 100% effective in mice in curing them, but not in humans. Why ? Because mice lives for a year or so and rat about two (?) years , but humans last for eighty years. And the rates os methabolism are very diferente.

But thats where things begin.

In fact stomach is not a big issue in taking drugs "per os" because as you all know, most drugs that may be directly agressive for stomach epithelium, the pills are coated with a gastroresistent layer that resist HCl and the product is released only in duodenum.

Three year ago in the Portuguese National Beekeeping Forum, in Tavira city in Algarve, ther was a delegation from University of Algarve and they presented honey in powder. Not like flour but very small grains about 0.5 mm. I thought it was dehydrated honey. I was wrong . It was micro-encapsulated honey...

The problem is more technological than medical. Take for exemple fenolic compounds, namely CAPE, crisin and galangin. They are identified and can be isolated, even more from própolis and pollen than from honey and in rat, they can reduce ovay, liver and some kinds of lung cancer. I´m not saying that it can be applied directly in humans, first because they must be directly applied in the abnormal cells, and that is huge a technical problem, and second because the tansference between mice and humans is not direct.

But the way is open. Let´s see how pharmaceutical industry deals with it.

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
This argument is all fine and good but you guys are not seeing the bigger problem with marijuana mead. It is not successfully combined in mead in either form:
1) using straight marijuana leaves creates vegetal notes in the mead
2) CBD- this is the true medicinal value of marijuana (but no one likes to talk about here or elsewhere because it creates it creates no "high". Here is the problem with ANY oils-it takes 18-24 months for oils to age out. Not only is this a long time but what happens at 24 months? Is it still CBD oil? Or is it broken down into another compound?

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
Mice are diferente from humans, but not very different... they are also mamals and they process many things in a diferente way we do but, they also have similar pathways for some methabolic routes. Even with bees we share the goup of citocrome P 450 pathways...

Many successful drugs tested in mice don´t apply in humans the same way. For instance chemoterapy used in most kinds of cancer , is 100% effective in mice in curing them, but not in humans. Why ? Because mice lives for a year or so and rat about two (?) years , but humans last for eighty years. And the rates os methabolism are very diferente.

But thats where things begin.

In fact stomach is not a big issue in taking drugs "per os" because as you all know, most drugs that may be directly agressive for stomach epithelium, the pills are coated with a gastroresistent layer that resist HCl and the product is released only in duodenum.

Three year ago in the Portuguese National Beekeeping Forum, in Tavira city in Algarve, ther was a delegation from University of Algarve and they presented honey in powder. Not like flour but very small grains about 0.5 mm. I thought it was dehydrated honey. I was wrong . It was micro-encapsulated honey...

The problem is more technological than medical. Take for exemple fenolic compounds, namely CAPE, crisin and galangin. They are identified and can be isolated, even more from própolis and pollen than from honey and in rat, they can reduce ovay, liver and some kinds of lung cancer. I´m not saying that it can be applied directly in humans, first because they must be directly applied in the abnormal cells, and that is huge a technical problem, and second because the tansference between mice and humans is not direct.

But the way is open. Let´s see how pharmaceutical industry deals with it.

Sure, all that research is great. Most of the research that is done in cancer cells in cultures wont work in humans for that reason. Targeting is hard and difficult. There is much research about how to attack only cancer cells, in nanobiology, and research about targeted nanoparticles. Its actually really interesting.
But there is a wide wide ammount of compound that kill cancer cells. Heck, there are a lot that kill any cell. If you could target only cancer, well the job is done. And we are on it. But no matter what, drinking or eating a product will hardly cure anything.

I know mice are incredible research animals and we are very similar. In fact that is why they are used in research. But not everything works the same way. I dont say this as a critic to anything, i say it because many times things are tested in mice and people belive that its exactly the same when its not. In the article i cited many of the benefits were proven in mice. I was just warning.

antonioh

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2013
Lisbon - Portugal
Dadux;265505 because many times things are tested in mice and people belive that its exactly the same when its not. In the article i cited many of the benefits were proven in mice. I was just warning.[/QUOTE said:
And you are right. Between mice and people there is a long way to go.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I would guess that the only way to make marijuana mead would be to take a page out of the port wine or Madeira manual and fortify a sweet mead with a good strong "green dragon". This weed tincture would introduce THC into the mead and if a really sweet mead like a JAOM is used it will hide the horrible flavor of green dragon. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns