FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!

Thread: 5 Gal Cyser Recipe Help

1. Default 5 Gal Cyser Recipe Help

I just picked up 63# of galberry honey and plan to do a 5 gal batch of apple cyser. This will be the first time tring one and what I'm thinking is a simple one. Here's what I'm thinking:

3.5 gals apple juice
    15 pounds honey
    one or two packs of the high gravity yeast that I have.

Is this way to much honey? Again, I've never done one and want one around 13 - 14% abv

Cheers!

Remember, that juice is going to add 1.060 gravity points or so to start with. To get to 14% ABV you should only add enough honey to bring you up to around 1.110. If you dump the whole 15 lbs in there your yeast will die from sugar overload.

For best results I would take some of the extra honey and make a 1/2 gallon starter with your yeast a few days before you mix this up. You will only need one yeast pack for that. What kind are you using?

You're not using the juice with sorbate in it, are you?
    Last edited by pwizard; 12-16-2016 at 08:31 PM.

3. Default

Nope..that 4 gals is becoming spiced warm/hot cider for our 24th Christmas party...I'll get 4 gals of apple juice from Walmart...nothing with potassium sorbate in it this time! so 1.110 will give me about 14%abv? If so I'll add 3.5 gals juice and start adding honey and take a gravity reading and stop when I get to 1.110....

Does that make since?

Haven't used a hydrometer since I stopped brewing a few years back....hahahahaha

That would be fine. Depending on your yeast, most likely you will end up bone dry.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Quote Originally Posted by miss_rach View Post
    Nope..that 4 gals is becoming spiced warm/hot cider for our 24th Christmas party...I'll get 4 gals of apple juice from Walmart...nothing with potassium sorbate in it this time! so 1.110 will give me about 14%abv? If so I'll add 3.5 gals juice and start adding honey and take a gravity reading and stop when I get to 1.110....

Does that make since?

Haven't used a hydrometer since I stopped brewing a few years back....hahahahaha
    Yes, you should be fine. 1.110 gives you about 14.5%. Not completely precise but whole numbers are easier to read on the hydrometer.

What kind of nutrient are you using? I recommend taking the time to get some Fermaid O (or K at the very least) before you do this. Nutrients that are mostly DAP don't give the yeast everything they need, plus making the yeast eat DAP is really hard on them. It's like trying to raise kids on junk food instead of giving them a proper diet.

When you do the starter, treat it like a mini-batch of traditional. It doesn't need to be very strong (1.060 is adequate) but it still needs the same nutrients and other care as a regular batch until you're ready to dump it in to your cyser. The whole point of using a starter is to create lots of active healthy yeast (way more than a few packs would give you) so they don't over-stress themselves trying to replicate enough to fill 5 gallons during lag phase. If you're using a bucket to ferment in, don't worry about the extra volume since you're going to lose some during racking anyway.