• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I found some interesting info by accident.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
So I was fishing for some info to try and help someone and I found this. http://catalogapp.lallemandwine.com/uploads/yeasts/docs/8bf70ab33b56b79a270ec28987a5e27ea528bccf.pdf

Look at the chart and get back to me with your thought or experiences. I have used both forms of Goferm but did not notice the difference. I have been using "protect" for a very long time. It seems this makes the fermentation finish sooner. Look at the time frame for the control.

I came across this PDF file 3 months ago. I have not used regular go ferm, only the go-ferm evolution. I have been pleased with it so far. I have used for more than 3079. I cant say how it compares to regular go-ferm but it is definitely better than none at all.
It was based on this same chart that i started using Go-Ferm evolution. I started with other yeasts because at the time I didnt have low enough temperatures for 3079 and I immediately saw a differnence.

Hope this helps. I assume you have been using only regular Go-Ferm with it. Based on the chart the evolution seems better but not a huge difference.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I stated in my post I have used both and have used the protect for a very long time.

It looks like about 80 hours at a quick glance. It's hard to say how long that is in yeast years. LOL It could be a very long time considering that's when you typically see things slow to a crawl due to the yeast starting to bump up against the ABV tolerance. It would be like you going home on Thursday and callin it a week. :)

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
I imagine there must be some improvement from Go ferm Protect to Goferm protect evolution. The question would then be: Is that chart more or less true for all yeasts?
Only way to see a difference is if fermentations were done all in a similar way. Same yeast, same recipe, same nutrient, same temperature. In the past years I have made changes to all my practices so even if I did both I wouldn't be able to see a difference.
P.s I built a fermentation chamber from scratch last summer. Pretty nifty, wanted to share pics some day but never got to it

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Hi Stasis

I sure miss you being around here like you once were. It's always nice to hear from you.

I know what you mean, I've made several changes over the past year as well so even though I feel like I'm making the best mead I've ever made in my life. It's not quite as obvious to see each change specificaly, in the transition from one thing to the other.

I would love to see pics of your chamber

HeidrunsGift

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2016
When I started ordering GoFerm, I actually didnt know the difference between GoFERM, Protect, and Evolution. Morewinemaking.com sent me the Evolution, so that all I've ever used I think so I can't really say how it compares to the other two.

However I will say that when I use fruit, I get that nice quick finish on the chart (from Goferm Protect Evolution) that you sent in the original post. The fruit that I've had the most success with is when I'm using grapes. This shouldn't be surprising, since Fermaid-O was most likely designed for grape wine and does not have a lot of nutrients in it that the grapes would provide. I'm going to hit up ScottLab and see if they would consider making an organic nitrogen source specifically for mead, which would be like Fermaid-O but with those fruit nutrients added in. Something along the lines of a Fermaid-OM (Organic Mead)??

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Charlie.

I think what they will tell you is the "missing" nutrients are now pre loaded in the Goferm and also "gut loaded" in the yeast they make Ferm O out of.

zpeckler

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
Newark, De
I know what you mean, I've made several changes over the past year as well so even though I feel like I'm making the best mead I've ever made in my life. It's not quite as obvious to see each change specificaly, in the transition from one thing to the other.

I agree. Once you get the low-hanging fruit (proper rehydration, SNA, temp control, pH, etc) down the changes in technique you can make beyond that amount to small, incremental improvements. For me the huge jumps in quality came in the first year while I was nailing down the basics.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns