• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Making Basic Mead. Honey and water.

Barrel Char Wood Products

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
Honey is predigested sugars. Raw It has the ablity to digest starch. -
So does human salivia.

How much I am not sure the amounts to add. But I guess this is the best place, someone must have tired to covert starch grains with Really Raw honey.

can you tell us where you get this information of honey itself digesting sugars?

Keep in mind that wild yeast are unpredictable. You may end up the best mead you ever made or the worst. There is absolutely no way of knowing.
People who create their own home yeast usually:
1) They are already experienced mead makers that know what they are doing. And yes mead is very different than grape wine. Grapes have their own natural nutrients to feed the yeast which honey does not have. This one fact alone makes a HUGE difference. Also even with pitched yeast grape wine requires much less attention than mead. I am making my first batch of grape wine and floored by how much easier it is compared to mead.

2) Usually these people do experiments in small batches like half gallon or quart size so if their experiment goes wrong, much less honey is lost.

Last edited:

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
All have good points. Go for it. What the hell. A pound and a half of honey is just pocket change. It more likely than not will suck . But, you may just get lucky. Let us know how you do.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Took about 4 days for my wild t'ej to take off. With no nutrients here I'd expect maybe even longer. Sanitation is very important since it is extremely easy for a wild yeast which was not in your honey to dominate this very long lag phase. I wouldn't open the carboy if I were you because the risk of contamination is way too great

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
When brewers make a starter they make sure that the starter is aerated constantly by using a stir plate. You refer to a "jar"... so are you incorporating air into this must every time you pass it by?

pdh

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 16, 2016
Northwestern Pennsylvania
Really Raw Honey sells a fermented version of their raw honey, so clearly it can ferment to some extent:

http://www.reallyrawhoney.com/category_s/44.htm

Of course, fermented honey isn't mead. I just now sent an email to the Really Raw folks, asking whether they know of any attempts to make bona fide mead by mixing their honey with water, with no additional ingredients or starters. I'll report back when I get a reply from them.

I got a reply from Really Raw Honey, but it's not helpful -- they say they know people have made mead using their honey, but they don't know anything about the details -- they have no idea how people went about it.

josiah

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2017
I make mead both ways—with commercial yeast as well as wild fermented. If you want to play with wild fermentation, consider checking out Sandor Katz's book by that title (Wild Fermentation) in which he gives suggestions for getting fermentation going with only honey and water.

My first attempt took about a week of stirring multiple times per day and keeping the must open to the air by covering the jar with a cloth. Then it took a good long time to ferment. I think it was in primary for three or four months, and secondary another six or so, and I am tempted to think I bottled it too soon.

I used the lees to start another batch at racking time, and gave that about a year in secondary before bottling, and while that was probably longer than necessary, the point is that if you want excellent results, it'll take awhile. And yes, both of these batches of mead turned out nicely enough that I'll be doing that again sometime.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns