• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Degassing a JAO Variant?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
I understand that this will void the warranty, but if it's helpful.....

I'm making my second batch of blackberry JAO and was thinking about degassing it once a day for the first week. Think it will help?

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
Well, I have decided to go ahead and give it a try. I will degas daily for a couple of weeks.

To add to the confusion, this is a variation using one pound of frozen and crushed raspberries instead of oranges. To further add to it, there is also four ounces of cacao nibs and one vanilla bean added to the mix. So far, so good. I will keep you posted.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Call it what you want. But once you understand better why this is what it is and works how it does you'll realize the farther you move away from the original the farther away from why it works you will find yourself. You might just consider making mead the normal way once you step out of the original lines. This is fine for what it is, and, it makes it easy to jump in as a beginner. But there are much better things to make once you move into the main stream.

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
I think you are giving me some good advice. My plan was to keep it simple and hands off, but I'm finding that I can't resist adding more of my own inputs. I might as well embrace it and get the few extra items I will need to do it right!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns