• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I'm sorry. Please read

Barrel Char Wood Products

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
It was brought to my attention by one of my forum friends that I have become a grumpy old man.

I wanted to take this time to apologize to any and all of you.

I'm sorry if I have offended or belittled you. My intentions are good. I just come across harsh at times.

I'm truly sorry and I hope you will forgive me if I have hurt you.

I was raised by wolfs and am still a work in progress :)

Ryan

chris.offord

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2017
Queensland, Australia
Speaking purely for myself here. I have read some of the replies you have left on my own post and those of some others. I appreciate when somebody 'shoots from the hip' and tells me in no uncertain terms that my idea won't work because of... or I am mistreating or ruining the good name of brewers due to x factors. I don't want to ruin an experience for myself by not following recipes or the correct procedures to create a beautiful drink. I am also very quick to let people know if I disagree with what was said or how it came across. I have found the information you have passed on to be very useful, or at least thought provoking. Thank you for your contributions to this forum Squatchy. I look forward to the next instalment of "Grumpy Old Wolf Man Saves the Newb".

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
Speaking purely for myself here. I have read some of the replies you have left on my own post and those of some others. I appreciate when somebody 'shoots from the hip' and tells me in no uncertain terms that my idea won't work because of... or I am mistreating or ruining the good name of brewers due to x factors. I don't want to ruin an experience for myself by not following recipes or the correct procedures to create a beautiful drink. I am also very quick to let people know if I disagree with what was said or how it came across. I have found the information you have passed on to be very useful, or at least thought provoking. Thank you for your contributions to this forum Squatchy. I look forward to the next instalment of "Grumpy Old Wolf Man Saves the Newb".

I agree and take your comments seriously. I would descript your comments more as "blunt" than "harsh" but personally I like it so the same myself.

That said there are some newbies that say they want help but don't necessarily want to follow the advice given. I don't think you can either make those happy nor truly help them.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I agree and take your comments seriously. I would descript your comments more as "blunt" than "harsh" but personally I like it so the same myself.

That said there are some newbies that say they want help but don't necessarily want to follow the advice given. I don't think you can either make those happy nor truly help them.[/QUO
I agree totally. I need to learn to not let them affect my attitude

pdh

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 16, 2016
Northwestern Pennsylvania

That said there are some newbies that say they want help but don't necessarily want to follow the advice given. I don't think you can either make those happy nor truly help them.
I agree totally. I need to learn to not let them affect my attitude

Yeah; that's the hard part. I know from my mentoring attempts at work that half the stuff I say is ignored. Problem is, I never know which half until well after the fact. Don't let it get you down.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Yeah; that's the hard part. I know from my mentoring attempts at work that half the stuff I say is ignored. Problem is, I never know which half until well after the fact. Don't let it get you down.

Thanks for the encouragement brother

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
I wouldn't blame it on the newbies either. Even experienced mazers become set in their ways. With so much conflicting information and misinformation I'm not surprised newbies do not automatically accept the advice we offer. Hopefully they will eventually learn on their own what is correct and what isn't. Meanwhile we try to play nice so that the advice we offer is not ignored simply because we're seen as rude.
But yeah, it's very easy to seem like a grumpy old man. I've edited or deleted numerous posts because I realize that I might be seen as grumpy or I realize there is no way for me to say what I need to say with enough emphasis without seeming rude. Sometimes I just ignore threads...

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
This dawned on me yesterday. It's very hard for me to type. I cut the tips of 2 of my fingers off. Before the accident I could type pretty well. It's a slow chore now. Because it's so laborious, I don't spend the time I would otherwise to add all the niceties and color I once would have. So, because of this I come across more blunt than in person.

On another note. I really need to not bother posting on certain threads.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
No worries Squatchy :)
That happens to me when I'm sending messages from my tablet

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
I, for one, greatly appreciate the time you have taken to answer my questions!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns