• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

3 Carboys but no caps.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chromo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2017
Hello! This might be a little stupid question, but i have 3 5litre carboys but no cap for any of them. And since i thougt i was going to age my mead in them, i need a cap/cork. Any suggestions or ideas of what i can use?

Skickat från min A0001 via Tapatalk

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
I personally fit my carboys with airlocks and age my mead in them rather than fitting a solid bung. With an airlock it is easier for my mead to keep naturally degassing and there is no risk of a carboy popping it's cap and oxidizing my mead. Every once in a while I top up the airlocks with water. I top up above the recommended water level since the mead's inactivity ensures the water would still stay inside the airlock, and this leads to less need of topping up. I can't yet understand why many mazers insist of using vodka in their airlocks to improve sanitation, or to use some liquid which they claim takes longer to evaporate. I just never really had a problem with sanitation or evaporation, especially if you change the water in your airlock instead of simply topping up.
Therefore, my suggestion is that you should buy caps and airlocks unless you already have them ;)

Chromo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2017
Seems good! I have som rubber homebrew things from the 90's that can go on the carboys and they fit an airlock!

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Seems good! I have som rubber homebrew things from the 90's that can go on the carboys and they fit an airlock!

Cool. Same here. Careful that the rubber isn't too dry and hard and cause leaks. I had to toss a bung or two because they were cracked. Many times you can still salvage them by wrapping some tape around the airlock to make a tighter fit. If the water levels out no matter what the season or what you put in the carboy then you know you have some leakage, unlike solid bungs where there is no definitive evidence of non-leakage. I found that non-level airlocks provide me with much more ease of mind than the "worry" of airlocks drying out.

Chromo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2017
Plastic wrap makes a nice seal and I use a rubber band to make sure it doesn't lose the seal and come off.
This night also work! I was thinking of using a ballon to maken sure the jug dosent explode.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I use clear packing tape. It's fsst,easy,seals right enough and will still allow any pressure to escape

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns