• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Places to buy 4 pounds of honey

Barrel Char Wood Products

SuperBacon

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 1, 2016
I'm looking at a new recipe and it calls for 4 pounds of honey. I'm having a hard time finding places to buy 4 pounds. Many places sell 3, some sell 5. Some places sell 3 and 1, but the 1 is ridiculously priced. Anybody know of any places I haven't looked yet?

The recipe calls for wildflower honey, but I've heard it's pretty hit or miss depending on location. I'm open to whatever. I've used Orange Blossom in the past.

Thanks! :)

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Are you saying you want to buy exactly 4 lbs of honey? The added expense of buying 5 lbs is to much?

You can buy 5 lbs of Clover honey at Costco.

SuperBacon

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 1, 2016
Are you saying you want to buy exactly 4 lbs of honey? The added expense of buying 5 lbs is to much?

You can buy 5 lbs of Clover honey at Costco.

It's not the expense, its the fact of what would I do with the other pound? Can't make another batch with a single pound

EDIT: Also, there are no Costco stores in my state

Maylar

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 23, 2015
Connecticut
Put the extra pound in a mason jar and use it on your Cheerios. Or, get the 3 lbs and pick up another pound from your grocery store.

SuperBacon

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 1, 2016
Put the extra pound in a mason jar and use it on your Cheerios. Or, get the 3 lbs and pick up another pound from your grocery store.

The latter is what I was thinking. What do I need to make sure it has (or doesn't have) when I get that extra pound? Sorry for the newbie questions

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
How about a Sam's Club? Walmart? 60 oz is 3.75 lbs.

It kind of depends on what you are trying to do with your honey. I guess if I was basing the flavor of my mead around one specific variety of honey, then for the additional one pound I would be looking for something that wouldn't distract from that. If the 3 lb jar was light honey then I probably wouldn't want to use a one pound jar of dark (unless I was try get some added flavor). Above and beyond that, I guess I would try and find the rawest and unfiltered honey I could find. That being said; you cook with the ingredients that you have on hand.......

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
I'm looking at a new recipe and it calls for 4 pounds of honey. I'm having a hard time finding places to buy 4 pounds. Many places sell 3, some sell 5. Some places sell 3 and 1, but the 1 is ridiculously priced. Anybody know of any places I haven't looked yet?

The recipe calls for wildflower honey, but I've heard it's pretty hit or miss depending on location. I'm open to whatever. I've used Orange Blossom in the past.

Thanks! :)

I had a crazy idea. Use the 4 pounds and save the last pound for your next batch of mead? do you really plan on NEVER making mead again?

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Looks like it's honey. Organic can be misleading. Unless the certification has changed, the USDA doesn't have an organic certification for honey. It would be nice to know what variety it is, but as they are not specifying my guess is that it's a blend.

MrMooCow

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 11, 2008
Woodridge, IL
Not to pile on the "Huh?!" train here, but you do realize that honey never, ever goes bad, right? The worst that happens is it crystallizes, but a touch of water and some heat (and not even the water sometimes), and it's good as new.

I would not buy honey for mead from places like Costco or Sam's. Especially Sam's. Similarly, don't use "Sue Bee" or other processed honeys. You want raw, no (minimal) heat filtered honey.

My thoughts on the above link..... Meh, Organic. Don't be fooled into paying higher prices for organic anything. There is no evidence organic is better quality by way of being organic. As above, the key word you want is "Raw". Raw honey. If the honey is pasteurized it loses many of it's unique flavors.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Have you gone to honey.com, to see if there are any apiaries in your area?

What are you trying to do with the honey? If you give us a hint, I'm sure you'll get a lot suggestions on what to use.

brentG

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 20, 2014
Yeah, I definitely agree not to use Costco/Sam's Club (suebee) honey. That stuff is garbage. Try eBay -- there's a company on there that ships raw, unfiltered honey in vacuum sealed bags, they do single pounds and only charge once for shipping. Can't remember the name but it's easy to find.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
As a beekeeper, I can see no way of guaranteeing honey as organic, unless you control the entire forage within a 5 mile radius of your hives. Bees fly where bees will, and I can't tell them to only get nectar from organic sources.

Wellsley "Farms" honey is just an international blend (https://www.honey.com/honey-locator/profile/natural-american-foods-corporate), so you might as well just buy SueBee at that point.

pwizard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Costco honey looks like it would be a good deal, but I would avoid it because it's heat-treated. What you want is honey with minimal heat applied during extraction.

Try Walkerhoneyfarm.com. You can buy honey by the quart or gallon (depending on variety) there and their stuff is high quality.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Not to pile on the "Huh?!" train here, but you do realize that honey never, ever goes bad, right? The worst that happens is it crystallizes, but a touch of water and some heat (and not even the water sometimes), and it's good as new.

Not exactly. There were some people on these forums who had their honey start fermenting on them because it crystallizes then the added moisture on top allows yeast to start working. I think I've also heard Oskaar say on the gotmead podcast that fresher honey tastes better. By time the honey starts to darken and change taste. In sites such as this one full of beekeepers they claim (third post) some honeys taste more caramelized or buckwheat-ish by age. There are other such posts and threads http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?319830-Honey-darkening-Carmelizing-with-age

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns