Thread: quick question about melomels and when adding fruit

Default quick question about melomels and when adding fruit

so after listening to several episodes of gotmead podcast i had a question about when adding fruit to melomels. i tried looking through the forum but either i wasnt working my keywords right or this hadnt been brought up much. hypothetically if i did a 5 gallon batch of mead 3 pds honey per gallon of water and finished dry. say i wanted to add 5 pounds of strawberries per gallon, 3 pounds cherries per gallon, and 2 pounds of blackberries per gallon into secondary. will there be any flavor difference if i added blackberries first waited 2 weeks. removed and added cherries waited 2 weeks. removed and added the strawberries for 2 weeks before removing. is there any benefit for adding the fruit seperatly and if so is there a particular order for adding fruit. sorry mayby i am just over thinking things but is there any difference between adding the fruit all together or adding it individually. thanks in advance for reading and any input.

No real difference as far as i know, as long as the fermentation is over, that is adding fruit to the secondary. When you add it does not matter much. Only reason to separate them is because of space i guess. But if you are gonna add fruit post fermentation make sure to stabilize first or the sugar from the fruits will be fermented. Also try putting them in mesh bags or fruit bags so you can take them out easily when you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by heathd666 View Post
    so after listening to several episodes of gotmead podcast i had a question about when adding fruit to melomels. i tried looking through the forum but either i wasnt working my keywords right or this hadnt been brought up much. hypothetically if i did a 5 gallon batch of mead 3 pds honey per gallon of water and finished dry. say i wanted to add 5 pounds of strawberries per gallon, 3 pounds cherries per gallon, and 2 pounds of blackberries per gallon into secondary. will there be any flavor difference if i added blackberries first waited 2 weeks. removed and added cherries waited 2 weeks. removed and added the strawberries for 2 weeks before removing. is there any benefit for adding the fruit seperatly and if so is there a particular order for adding fruit. sorry mayby i am just over thinking things but is there any difference between adding the fruit all together or adding it individually. thanks in advance for reading and any input.
    Not really however there is a bigger difference in taste if added in primary vs. secondary.

Both of the above are true. I like to let my fruit run free. But, WHen I am planning on removing it I rack most of the clearer stuff first. Then I use the paint straining mesh bags that fit perfectly for a 5 gallon bucket. I'll slip the mesh bag over the bucket I have the fruit in and then very gently pout the must out of the fruit bucket. I make sure to tip the buckets so the must doesn't splash and cause too much exposure to the oxygen. I rarely concern myself with oxidation as I use Sulfites and tannins. Both of those combat oxidation. I found out at a class at UC Davis a month ago the it's actually the ethanol that will oxidize in long term ageing if it's not considered. Image that!
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!