Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Here we go another newbie.....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Stone Mills Ontario
    Posts
    14

    My Social Networking

    Add JackandPamsplace on Facebook

    Default Here we go another newbie.....

    Hello everyone. First question in what I hope will be a great resource for learning this craft. My wife and I have an Apiary so this is perfect for us. I have made our first batch from a recipe on Pintrest. We know a lady who has a wine store (make your own deal) and she told me I probably should be adding a clarifier (to clear it?) before I bottle. She gave me some stuff to try so maybe I need to research more because there were four different packets all doing the same thing. I see nothing in all the recipes I have looked at with reference to this. So, is this personal preferences I need to learn or would I be good to go? Thanks in advance, Jack

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Spain, Europe
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Hey there Jack and Pam. Welcome to the forum

    If you want to keep doing this i recommend you read the newbee guide this site has, its pretty good. Not gonna talk bad about a recipe i dont know but pintrest might not be the best place to get the recipes. Just saying, meadmaking is advancing superfast and a lot of recipes are old or use far from perfect methods. You can follow them but at your own peril. If you think you are gonna stay with us, you would do well planning ahead, asking, and reading what is the latest on meadmaking because it has changed a lot in the last few years it seems, and this is a mead site so its the best place to go.

    Ok so the rant ends there, now to your particular question.
    What you probably have (maybe desceibe the pack or post a picture or the commercial name so we can know more) is a fining agent. Those are substances that help clarify wine/beer/mead.
    Let me say, you do NOT need to clarify your mead. However you might choose to do so for a large number of reasons. Looks better when clear, if done properly can taste a bit better, reduces infection risk, and gets rid of floating yeast that remains from the ferment. Mead clarifies on its own, but if you dont have the time or patience and want it clear, fining is a viable option.
    There are a lot of fining agents and they are different. So their effect is not exactly the same. For this reason i cannot specify what your agent does and how it works. The general thing is they bind with other stuff that makes the mead cloudy and help it fall to the bottom, forming sediment.
    For more general information in fining agents search google or this forum.

    All this aside, you might want to post your recipe and what you did and how you did it, so we can tell you what you should do next and if it is ready to bottle. If you do thos give us the most detail you can.

    I hope this provides you with some answers

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackandPam'splace View Post
    Hello everyone. First question in what I hope will be a great resource for learning this craft. My wife and I have an Apiary so this is perfect for us. I have made our first batch from a recipe on Pintrest. We know a lady who has a wine store (make your own deal) and she told me I probably should be adding a clarifier (to clear it?) before I bottle. She gave me some stuff to try so maybe I need to research more because there were four different packets all doing the same thing. I see nothing in all the recipes I have looked at with reference to this. So, is this personal preferences I need to learn or would I be good to go? Thanks in advance, Jack
    1) Read the newbie guide on the forums
    2) Watch the meadology series by Canadian sasquatch on youtube.
    3) Tell us if you want the "pitch and leave approach" = throw everything in there, ignore it and in 1-2 years it is drinkable; OR
    "Meticulous method" = Staggered Nutrition Addition, quality nutrients like Fermaid K and Fermaid-O, daily stirring at least 2 weeks, use fining agents; ETC
    4) please tell us more about the recipe, ingredients and the rest of your process so we can provide input.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Harford, NY
    Posts
    305

    My Social Networking

    Follow Shelley On Twitter Add Shelley on Facebook

    Default

    Fellow meadmaker and beekeeper here: after you've had experience with mead from straight honey, you can start using your cappings wash for your must, too. Depending on how clean your cappings end up, you may not have to add any honey to the must.

    My straight-honey meads don't always need clarifying, so I would hold off on using a fining agent until you're ready to bottle and really want a clear drink. (The cappings meads tend to be cloudier longer.) Before you use a fining agent, try "cold crashing" first. Folks have a lot of success with that method.
    Mead Magic
    Turn Honey Into Wine
    With our complete one-gallon kit!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Stone Mills Ontario
    Posts
    14

    My Social Networking

    Add JackandPamsplace on Facebook

    Default

    I knew I came to the right place. Awesome answers and makes sense to me now. I was wondering if there is a way to print or purchase the newbee guide from what I have read so far a must, get it, never mind bad one I know. Looking forward to continuing with mead making and from the lady I know has given me equipment in need of repair and I have refurbished a EnolMatic bottler and a filtering machine so in it now. Once again thank you for the response and will be asking more questions for sure. Jack and Pam

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Spain, Europe
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackandPam'splace View Post
    I knew I came to the right place. Awesome answers and makes sense to me now. I was wondering if there is a way to print or purchase the newbee guide from what I have read so far a must, get it, never mind bad one I know. Looking forward to continuing with mead making and from the lady I know has given me equipment in need of repair and I have refurbished a EnolMatic bottler and a filtering machine so in it now. Once again thank you for the response and will be asking more questions for sure. Jack and Pam
    the newbee guide is accessible to everyone. At the top of the page there is a label that says "NewBee Guide". Just click there, there are a bunch of chapters, you can print it one by one i guess, or something.
    The filter machine will come in handy im sure.
    Also you might want to get aquainted with the "Advanced Search" button and engine. You can search for any terms or doubts you have and find nearly everything you want with it. Whatever you dont, feel free to ask.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Stone Mills Ontario
    Posts
    14

    My Social Networking

    Add JackandPamsplace on Facebook

    Default caduseus here is what we did and used

    Quote Originally Posted by caduseus View Post
    1) Read the newbie guide on the forums
    2) Watch the meadology series by Canadian sasquatch on youtube.
    3) Tell us if you want the "pitch and leave approach" = throw everything in there, ignore it and in 1-2 years it is drinkable; OR
    "Meticulous method" = Staggered Nutrition Addition, quality nutrients like Fermaid K and Fermaid-O, daily stirring at least 2 weeks, use fining agents; ETC
    4) please tell us more about the recipe, ingredients and the rest of your process so we can provide input.
    Hope I am doing this right. Wasn't sure how to reply to you directly. I waited a bit to let you know as we were going to take what we have done out and into a car boy. The recipe was of course all the honey but in the 5 gallons we added a bag of mixed fruit, 3 cinnamon sticks and a sliced orange. We used lalvin EC-1118 and set it aside. The next morning is was burping away so we were happy. We waited the 6 weeks and popped open the pail lid. Wasn't close to the correct hydrometer reading so gave it a stir and left it. Cooler here so gave it the extra time. This weekend it was at 1.0 so something was working for us. We took a taste. Looks and smells like wine and I thought it was a bit watery tasting and my wife said it reminded her of a strawberry medicine. OUCH! Too funny. So now it sits and cloudy and not sure to just leave it alone or ?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackandPam'splace View Post
    Hope I am doing this right. Wasn't sure how to reply to you directly. I waited a bit to let you know as we were going to take what we have done out and into a car boy. The recipe was of course all the honey but in the 5 gallons we added a bag of mixed fruit, 3 cinnamon sticks and a sliced orange. We used lalvin EC-1118 and set it aside. The next morning is was burping away so we were happy. We waited the 6 weeks and popped open the pail lid. Wasn't close to the correct hydrometer reading so gave it a stir and left it. Cooler here so gave it the extra time. This weekend it was at 1.0 so something was working for us. We took a taste. Looks and smells like wine and I thought it was a bit watery tasting and my wife said it reminded her of a strawberry medicine. OUCH! Too funny. So now it sits and cloudy and not sure to just leave it alone or ?
    You need to provide us with exactly what you added and your logs as well if you want some help. My hunch it's bone dry and low ABV. We can fix that . But we need to know what and how much you did and when. The ionternet is chock full of bad information and I suspect your kit was lacking in solid understanding of good mead making practices.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Stone Mills Ontario
    Posts
    14

    My Social Networking

    Add JackandPamsplace on Facebook

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    You need to provide us with exactly what you added and your logs as well if you want some help. My hunch it's bone dry and low ABV. We can fix that . But we need to know what and how much you did and when. The ionternet is chock full of bad information and I suspect your kit was lacking in solid understanding of good mead making practices.
    Hi Squatchy, Thanks for the reply. I had to find what we had done and now I have it. We got it off Pintrest before I found Got Mead and I can see there is much to learn. I will send the link and that is what we used and did. We took and extra two+weeks was the difference. As well at the 6 week march I skimmed off the remainder of the floating bleached out fruit. http://www.growforagecookferment.com...llons-of-mead/ Jack

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackandPam'splace View Post
    Hi Squatchy, Thanks for the reply. I had to find what we had done and now I have it. We got it off Pintrest before I found Got Mead and I can see there is much to learn. I will send the link and that is what we used and did. We took and extra two+weeks was the difference. As well at the 6 week march I skimmed off the remainder of the floating bleached out fruit. http://www.growforagecookferment.com...llons-of-mead/ Jack
    Hi guys

    WHile this methoud will eventually turn into mead, it is lacking in so many areas I would strongly suggest not doing another batch until you have spent some time here learning modern techniques. That batch is going to take many months of ageing before it's anywear close to becoming drinkable. I would not bottle this at this time. If you can wait we canhelp you to make this better before you bottle. Over time , while it sits and ages, things will drop out of suspension and it will become clearer and clearer naturally. But, if you wanted this to present better we can suggest some additions that will make it better. (in my opinion) ANd this will muck it up again.

    Not to put you on the spot. But have you spent enough time to learn from this place what would be a better approach to make a similar batch with better techniques? or are you so new here you haven't had a chance to learn yet?

    Can you taste your stuff and write down everything you can and share this with us please.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Stone Mills Ontario
    Posts
    14

    My Social Networking

    Add JackandPamsplace on Facebook

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    Hi guys

    WHile this methoud will eventually turn into mead, it is lacking in so many areas I would strongly suggest not doing another batch until you have spent some time here learning modern techniques. That batch is going to take many months of ageing before it's anywear close to becoming drinkable. I would not bottle this at this time. If you can wait we canhelp you to make this better before you bottle. Over time , while it sits and ages, things will drop out of suspension and it will become clearer and clearer naturally. But, if you wanted this to present better we can suggest some additions that will make it better. (in my opinion) ANd this will muck it up again.

    Not to put you on the spot. But have you spent enough time to learn from this place what would be a better approach to make a similar batch with better techniques? or are you so new here you haven't had a chance to learn yet?

    Can you taste your stuff and write down everything you can and share this with us please.
    I can say that we are so new I haven't had a chance to learn enough. I did take the time to print out the Newbee Guide and have it in a binder. We did post that we had tasted it and I thought it watery and my wife thought it tasted like fruity medicine. I would appreciate things we could do to make this batch better for sure but will pay more attention to some of the recipes we have seen with Got Mead for the next batch. We would like to start another and keep things going.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Brookline, NH
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackandPam'splace View Post
    I can say that we are so new I haven't had a chance to learn enough. I did take the time to print out the Newbee Guide and have it in a binder. We did post that we had tasted it and I thought it watery and my wife thought it tasted like fruity medicine. I would appreciate things we could do to make this batch better for sure but will pay more attention to some of the recipes we have seen with Got Mead for the next batch. We would like to start another and keep things going.
    The Newbee Guide is good place to start. If you have the time, check out the 9 week Meadology video series on youtube. Each video is about 20 minutes long, will show you how to make your first mead and will introduce you to terms, concepts and ideas that you'll use if you move forward with mead making.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oODP...yUw6jg2Zlrgko7

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackandPam'splace View Post
    I can say that we are so new I haven't had a chance to learn enough. I did take the time to print out the Newbee Guide and have it in a binder. We did post that we had tasted it and I thought it watery and my wife thought it tasted like fruity medicine. I would appreciate things we could do to make this batch better for sure but will pay more attention to some of the recipes we have seen with Got Mead for the next batch. We would like to start another and keep things going.
    So you will want to stabilize so you can add more honey and fruit. I'm sure it's very hot tasting. Over time this will go away some. How much fruit and what kind did you add? How much honey did you start with? Gravity readings? What are you hoping for?
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Stone Mills Ontario
    Posts
    14

    My Social Networking

    Add JackandPamsplace on Facebook

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    So you will want to stabilize so you can add more honey and fruit. I'm sure it's very hot tasting. Over time this will go away some. How much fruit and what kind did you add? How much honey did you start with? Gravity readings? What are you hoping for?
    We used 5, 750 ML bottles of honey and the mixed fruit was 700 grams of mixed berries and the other ingredients she shows as per her instructions. I know it's fun converting back and forth. No gravity readings taken at the outset. We hope for something that tastes better than we have. We are selling our Maple Syrup operation and putting all our time into the Apiary and learning this craft well enough to start a Mead Business down the road.

    I should say after I posted this I read your reply to another "Make a plan, Stick to a plan" and once again very sound advice
    Last edited by JackandPam'splace; 03-14-2017 at 10:40 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Spain, Europe
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackandPam'splace View Post
    I can say that we are so new I haven't had a chance to learn enough. I did take the time to print out the Newbee Guide and have it in a binder. We did post that we had tasted it and I thought it watery and my wife thought it tasted like fruity medicine. I would appreciate things we could do to make this batch better for sure but will pay more attention to some of the recipes we have seen with Got Mead for the next batch. We would like to start another and keep things going.
    Before starting another batch think about how you want it to be and post us your plan so we can help you round it up and give you advice on the methodology. Once you start it might be too late for some things

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Stone Mills Ontario
    Posts
    14

    My Social Networking

    Add JackandPamsplace on Facebook

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackandPam'splace View Post
    We used 5, 750 ML bottles of honey and the mixed fruit was 700 grams of mixed berries and the other ingredients she shows as per her instructions. I know it's fun converting back and forth. No gravity readings taken at the outset. We hope for something that tastes better than we have. We are selling our Maple Syrup operation and putting all our time into the Apiary and learning this craft well enough to start a Mead Business down the road.

    I should say after I posted this I read your reply to another "Make a plan, Stick to a plan" and once again very sound advice
    To be clear at this point in time I am only going to stabilize so I can add more honey and fruit correct. I have a packet of Sulphite 3.6g and a packet of Potassium Sorbate. Any documentation I have read in the guide refers to stabilizing for bottling. If I stabilize and add honey and more fruit will the honey and fruit start the process over or I need to add

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Spain, Europe
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackandPam'splace View Post
    We used 5, 750 ML bottles of honey and the mixed fruit was 700 grams of mixed berries and the other ingredients she shows as per her instructions. I know it's fun converting back and forth. No gravity readings taken at the outset. We hope for something that tastes better than we have. We are selling our Maple Syrup operation and putting all our time into the Apiary and learning this craft well enough to start a Mead Business down the road.

    I should say after I posted this I read your reply to another "Make a plan, Stick to a plan" and once again very sound advice
    As Squatchy said a good way to cover faults in a mead is adding more honey. The sweetness will diminish the off-flavours you taste. But dont worry even if you mead tastes bad now, in 9 months it might be better than what you can imagine right now. It gets better. And we all do mistakes the first time, so dont worry. the next batches will be better. You might want to experiment in 1 gallon vessels or 2 gals so you dont use a lot of honey so if it turns bad/not as good as you want, its not that bad. Once you get the grip of it you can start doing more volume.
    Gotmead also has a calculator that is really great, i recommend that before you start a new batch you run your numbers through it so you can see how it works. Its pretty good.
    And just something that might interest you, there are recipes of mead made with honey and maple syrup. They are called Acerglyns. So you might want to save some of that maple syrup if you still have it.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Stone Mills Ontario
    Posts
    14

    My Social Networking

    Add JackandPamsplace on Facebook

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dadux View Post
    As Squatchy said a good way to cover faults in a mead is adding more honey. The sweetness will diminish the off-flavours you taste. But dont worry even if you mead tastes bad now, in 9 months it might be better than what you can imagine right now. It gets better. And we all do mistakes the first time, so dont worry. the next batches will be better. You might want to experiment in 1 gallon vessels or 2 gals so you dont use a lot of honey so if it turns bad/not as good as you want, its not that bad. Once you get the grip of it you can start doing more volume.
    Gotmead also has a calculator that is really great, i recommend that before you start a new batch you run your numbers through it so you can see how it works. Its pretty good.
    And just something that might interest you, there are recipes of mead made with honey and maple syrup. They are called Acerglyns. So you might want to save some of that maple syrup if you still have it.
    Thanx Dadux I was thinking the smaller batches to save honey so will do just that. Just trying to figure out if I stabilize what I have and add a bit more honey does the honey and or fruit start it up again.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Spain, Europe
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackandPam'splace View Post
    Thanx Dadux I was thinking the smaller batches to save honey so will do just that. Just trying to figure out if I stabilize what I have and add a bit more honey does the honey and or fruit start it up again.
    By stabilizing (if done correctly) you kill/inactivate the remaining yeast. That has 3 benefits.
    1-sulphites soak up O2 so its hard to oxidize the wine/mead
    2-it wont get contaminated because the sulphites (and the alcohol) kill any bacteria or fungus cell that might come in contact with the wine
    3-Since the yeast is dead you can add more fermentables (honey, sugar, fruit) and it wont start fermenting again. If you add more fermentables BEFORE stabilizing it might referment.

    Wheather or not you stabilize now depends on how much time has passed since the fermentation ended. You probably want to keep it where it is for at least a couple weeks more before stabilizing.
    For stabilizing you have to first rack off the lees (the sediment at the bottom). (also a warning, before you stabilize make sure you have the additions right. 3.6 grams of sulphites might not be enough for the volume you have)
    I recommend you have some patience, rouse the lees once a day (shake the carboy so the sediment goes up to suspension again, this helps the mead clear some off flavours)
    After two-six weeks of doing that you can stop rousing the lees, wait like a week so everything settles and rack it, stabilize and add some more honey and/or fruit. Mead is a slow process, specially if you botch things up. But dont worry, it'll get there.
    Thats what i would recommend based on what i know. If you can provide us with some dates (when did you start the ferment, and when was your last hydrometer reading and what was it. Please when you give hydrometer reading give 4 numbers. So for example you said 1.0 but you should specify 1.000 or 1.010 or whatever it says in there. There is a big difference. If you can take a reading today or soon, tell us what you get) and what is the state of the ferment now (is it bubbling or not, how much volume you have) we can maybe give you more specific advice. Just a reminder, you never give too much information. The more specific you are describing what you did when asking for advice, the easier it is to give, pinpoint mistakes and suggest solutions.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Stone Mills Ontario
    Posts
    14

    My Social Networking

    Add JackandPamsplace on Facebook

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dadux View Post
    By stabilizing (if done correctly) you kill/inactivate the remaining yeast. That has 3 benefits.
    1-sulphites soak up O2 so its hard to oxidize the wine/mead
    2-it wont get contaminated because the sulphites (and the alcohol) kill any bacteria or fungus cell that might come in contact with the wine
    3-Since the yeast is dead you can add more fermentables (honey, sugar, fruit) and it wont start fermenting again. If you add more fermentables BEFORE stabilizing it might referment.

    Wheather or not you stabilize now depends on how much time has passed since the fermentation ended. You probably want to keep it where it is for at least a couple weeks more before stabilizing.
    For stabilizing you have to first rack off the lees (the sediment at the bottom). (also a warning, before you stabilize make sure you have the additions right. 3.6 grams of sulphites might not be enough for the volume you have)
    I recommend you have some patience, rouse the lees once a day (shake the carboy so the sediment goes up to suspension again, this helps the mead clear some off flavours)
    After two-six weeks of doing that you can stop rousing the lees, wait like a week so everything settles and rack it, stabilize and add some more honey and/or fruit. Mead is a slow process, specially if you botch things up. But dont worry, it'll get there.
    Thats what i would recommend based on what i know. If you can provide us with some dates (when did you start the ferment, and when was your last hydrometer reading and what was it. Please when you give hydrometer reading give 4 numbers. So for example you said 1.0 but you should specify 1.000 or 1.010 or whatever it says in there. There is a big difference. If you can take a reading today or soon, tell us what you get) and what is the state of the ferment now (is it bubbling or not, how much volume you have) we can maybe give you more specific advice. Just a reminder, you never give too much information. The more specific you are describing what you did when asking for advice, the easier it is to give, pinpoint mistakes and suggest solutions.
    Perfect Dadux. I am going to leave it alone for awhile as suggested. I have purchased "The Complete Meadmaker" by Ken Schramm and have printed the "Newbee Guide" to take on vacation and read so between that and this great forum I may actually get a bit smarter and make sure as suggested I have a plan and document everything. The hydrometer reading I took was right at the 1.000 level where the beer ended and the wine began. Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Another Newbie
    By JohnS in forum Troubleshooting your Mead
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-12-2011, 06:05 AM
  2. newbie
    By zackterry in forum The Hive
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 04:24 PM
  3. Newbie
    By crisp in forum Mead NewBees - Post your Questions Here
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 09:10 AM
  4. Another Newbie
    By Garrete in forum Mead NewBees - Post your Questions Here
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 02:53 PM
  5. Newbie Hello
    By archae13 in forum Mead NewBees - Post your Questions Here
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 04:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •