• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Broke My Hydrometer

Barrel Char Wood Products

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
This is why I can't have nice things:

Was planning to step up my game and graduate from JAO to BOMM and do everything just right, by the book. I had my yeast smacked for several hours and it was time to sanitize everything and get started.

Then I broke my hydrometer. No turning back now because the yeast was ready to pitch. I followed the recipe, but I have no starting gravity in order to determine my 1/3 & 2/3 sugar breaks. By time the brew shop opens on Tuesday it will be way too late.

The room temperature where I am brewing is about 70 degrees. Can anyone give me an estimate of the timing of the sugar breaks?

Dang!!

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
Yeah that happened to me too...twice. when i was brewing hydrometerless i just divided my adittions in 5 and add them at 0h 24h 48 etc. Some good mazers do this too so its not to crazy (i remember reading Schramm using 5 additions a few times i think). As long as you see the ferment going you can do this. Use 5 adittions if the ferment is medium speed/you expect high ABV or 4 of its fast/the sg is low (you should know more or less by the ammount)

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
I use Lalvin yeast with TOSNA which dictates 24,48,72 for first 3 additions. 4th addition at 1/3sugar break or 1 week whichever comes first.
It seems TOSNA is better with a broken hydrometer if you use lalvin yeast.

Try out lalvin yeast sometime.

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
I bet I could break it.
I just did a degas/aeration. The fermentation is really progressing well, or appears to be.

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
Update: Without a hydrometer, I followed the instructions of Canadian Sasquatch on YouTube. On the 7th day I tasted it and thought it tasted hot, so I put it in the fridge for a week prior to stabilization.

Today makes two weeks since pitch. I racked it into a carboy for stabilization and further aging. Took a little out to taste and was surprised to find that it tastes pretty good! It was dry, but not harsh at all. Passed it around to my wife and daughters and they all liked it.

I was thinking of adding a little sugar or a vanilla bean, but everyone insisted that I not alter it. I'm calling it a success.

edblanford

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Midwest Supplies/Northern Brewer have polycarbonate hydrometers for $10. I have a couple for general use, although I use real glass ones when I am looking for the ultimate in accuracy. What I really want is an affordable electronic one?

jeffvenuti

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 26, 2015
Bedford, MA
Great advice Hamish! Boil SG down to what it truly is. A ratio of weight to volume. For shits and grins I've done this exercise before to convince myself I truly understood SG. Total geek stuff.

Anyway, Ken, when you buy your next hydrometer buy three. I probably have five around the house for just these types of incidents.

This weekend I was wishing I had a spare pH meter since mine went all haywire in the middle of adjusting with K-carb (1.5 year old Extech ph110). These are a bit more expensive to stock up on though.

Jeff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns