Thread: Fermaid-k substitues?

1. Default Fermaid-k substitues?

Hi everyone!
    I was planning my next mead and encountered nutrient issue here.
    I can get DAP in my country but not fermaid-k nor o.
    Understanding that DAP isn't the most ideal nutrient, I want to feed my yeasts with good nutrient.
    I'm actually planning on getting some from Amazon as I don't need them for few weeks but I wondered if there are any substitutes for it?
    Thanks you!

Depends on where you are from. But yes
    Superfood, superfood plus, wyeast nutrient, tronozymol and im still leaving one i dont remember. If it looks brown it has organic nutrients
    Also other fermaid nutrients such as O, A ans there are others
    you can try international sellers such as browland and others. But Nutrivit does not work. Is just DAP in a fancier package
    Last edited by Dadux; 03-13-2017 at 06:34 AM.

There are equivalents but keep in mind it is not usually an exact science.
    If you can't font fermaid k or O then I would get one that has organic nitrogen, preferably only organic if possible.

If there are multiple that you can find like this, then I would use the one that has one of the two and both if you can get it:
    1) only organic is better than both organic and inorganic mixed
    2) one you can scientifically find the YAN. From this you can get an approximation compared to fermaid k or O. Not at home now but I can provide a table that provides the amount of YAN per serving. This approximation helps you be more exact with TOSNA or TiOSNA

If you are in Europe... fermaid E that is almost the same. Here we donīt have fermaid K. But there are fermaid o and go ferm.

You can also try this Vitactif I was going to try and find some in the US, but I haven't really started looking yet. It is 28 PPM per 20g/hL while FermK is 30 PPM per 30g/hL, so converting to 1g/L = 140 PPM (Vitactif) and 100 PPM Nitrogen (FermK).
    Meadmaker since 2016