• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Fresh versus Frozen....

Barrel Char Wood Products

JackandPamsplace

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 9, 2017
Stone Mills Ontario
Is it just preference to use fresh or frozen fruit? I sometimes think the frozen is sweeter maybe because it is processed more and I never really checked to see what was added but, if there is a difference other than preference what would the reasoning be?

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
Good ripe fresh fruit is better, just because its better quality. Another common option is juices (check they are free of sulphites and sorbate) or purees. Depends on the fruit though.
In most cases its recommended to freeze and thaw it anyway even if its fresh, because that helps release the sugars and flavours.
Wash any fruit you add with skin since you dont want the pesticides in your mead.
For some fruits that are added in high quantities pectinase is called for. Its an enzyme that breaks pectine, a very dense vegetal molecule. Without it your mead could end up really cloudy after the fruit (altough there is nothing wrong with pectine for your body. Its not bad for you).

dingurth

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 23, 2012
Brooklyn , NY
Is it just preference to use fresh or frozen fruit? I sometimes think the frozen is sweeter maybe because it is processed more and I never really checked to see what was added but, if there is a difference other than preference what would the reasoning be?

Yeah, the big thing is just making sure you know exactly what you're putting in your mead. I like fresh just because I can go to the store and hand pick everything that will go in my must and I think that in general frozen fruit is poorer quality. That said, plenty of people use frozen fruit and it's fine. We only care about the flavor after all. You'll see lots of brew stores/websites selling fruit purees which is another option.

If you do get fresh fruit, I recommend freezing it for 24-48hrs and letting it defrost before adding it, or pureeing it yourself. Freezing has 2 benefits: it can help kill any bacteria or fungi you don't want in your mead (should go without saying that you should wash it before freezing), and freezing will create micro tears in the fruit's skin so the flavor is better released. Pureeing yourself is just making macro tears to help release the flavor :p

Edit: damn it Dadux, you got in while I was typing mine haha

JackandPamsplace

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 9, 2017
Stone Mills Ontario
Yeah, the big thing is just making sure you know exactly what you're putting in your mead. I like fresh just because I can go to the store and hand pick everything that will go in my must and I think that in general frozen fruit is poorer quality. That said, plenty of people use frozen fruit and it's fine. We only care about the flavor after all. You'll see lots of brew stores/websites selling fruit purees which is another option.

If you do get fresh fruit, I recommend freezing it for 24-48hrs and letting it defrost before adding it, or pureeing it yourself. Freezing has 2 benefits: it can help kill any bacteria or fungi you don't want in your mead (should go without saying that you should wash it before freezing), and freezing will create micro tears in the fruit's skin so the flavor is better released. Pureeing yourself is just making macro tears to help release the flavor :p

Edit: damn it Dadux, you got in while I was typing mine haha

It's always a good day when you learn something folks. Thanks for the replies as I was leaning to fresh but needed to know. Have a great weekend, Jack

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns