• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Going to the Methiglin clinic

Barrel Char Wood Products

Trenchie

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2017
Hey Mazers,

I'm looking to try a "roasted chocolate" mead. it would literally be made with roasted chocolate beans (local guy's coffee hobby) that have been pealed and prepped somehow. I was thinking of crumbling the chocolate to be steeped like tea. with some elbow grease, I can mash them into a clay and dissolve for a solution or tincture. heck it might even take on the roll of bentonite (which is nothing more than clay). and a lot depends on when it's added. and that got me thinkin....

this seems like it could be similar to making the mead not with water, but with a tea (or flavored water). is that even possible? besides potential acidity concerns you have the properties of the spice/herb in the fluid. I can't see yeast being enthused about jumping into a thyme or oregano laced must but would it work?

one other curiosity was a "PB and H" mead. (Peanut Butter and Honey sandwiches are pretty good). how could I get a peanut flavor in there (maybe a peanut butter flavor)?

THoughtS?

-T

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
Hey Mazers,

I'm looking to try a "roasted chocolate" mead. it would literally be made with roasted chocolate beans (local guy's coffee hobby) that have been pealed and prepped somehow. I was thinking of crumbling the chocolate to be steeped like tea. with some elbow grease, I can mash them into a clay and dissolve for a solution or tincture. heck it might even take on the roll of bentonite (which is nothing more than clay). and a lot depends on when it's added. and that got me thinkin....

this seems like it could be similar to making the mead not with water, but with a tea (or flavored water). is that even possible? besides potential acidity concerns you have the properties of the spice/herb in the fluid. I can't see yeast being enthused about jumping into a thyme or oregano laced must but would it work?

one other curiosity was a "PB and H" mead. (Peanut Butter and Honey sandwiches are pretty good). how could I get a peanut flavor in there (maybe a peanut butter flavor)?

THoughtS?

-T

If you can make a tea/tincture without oils that would be great. Oils dont do well in fermented beverages.
AS far peanut butter and honey: already been doing combining PB2 with honey and if with grape juice= PB&J

dingurth

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 23, 2012
Brooklyn , NY

It's certainly possible. That's almost exactly what loveofrose is doing here:http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/26495-Viking-BOMM-(Gruit-BOMM-Round-2)
albeit a bit watered down.

I did a mead based off my favorite iced tea beverage once. Just replaced water with the ice tea. It had a significantly longer lag time than normal (~48hrs, still in the safe range) which may or may not have been the tea's fault, but it eventually worked out fairly well.

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
Hey Mazers,

THoughtS?

-T

You can use teas as long as they dont have sulphites. I use team sometines to add tannins to the mead. Just a bit though. But you can make them the main flavour.

You can use chocolate nibs in mead. If you have not heard of bochet, give it a read. Is mead made with caramelized honey. If you toast the honey too much it will give you a bitter flavour that could combine great with the nibs. But if you caramelize it way too much it will be too strong bitterness, warning here. I think it couls be great. If it does not sound good, yes, you can use the beans in normal mead. You do t have to do anything to them. Use them in the form that is easiest removed (i'd go with whole beans).

X-tian started a thread on PB mead...and only americans would do it. I love peanuts, but peanut butter...meh.

In both cases the main problem is the fats from coffe/peanut being released to the mead. But it has been done so go ahead

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
If you make a tea from the nuts the oils that you extract will tend to float to the top. You can either skim off the top or freeze the tea and as it thaws skim the oils off.

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
If you make a tea from the nuts the oils that you extract will tend to float to the top. You can either skim off the top or freeze the tea and as it thaws skim the oils off.

Mhm that is true but usually nibs are added whole, i think. I want to do a chocolate-spice bochet but..

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Mhm that is true but usually nibs are added whole, i think. I want to do a chocolate-spice bochet but..

True, but I was responding to the sentence about PB and honey - or the use of nuts , not chocolate (I have a bochet in a secondary that I am making with a bar of Lindt chocolate... no spices but I will add some vanilla before I bottle

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
True, but I was responding to the sentence about PB and honey - or the use of nuts , not chocolate (I have a bochet in a secondary that I am making with a bar of Lindt chocolate... no spices but I will add some vanilla before I bottle

I know i know haha. Just claryfing. Let me know how it goes! im interested

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns