• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

first mead try and need help

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
again, Thanks Dadux.

I will add some more oranges and boil some yeast and add it later as well.
I am in America and will look at other nutrients available. I am currently looking for a good reliable supply store (online).
I also will update my user info.

Thank you once again. I will update in couple days.

i think some suppliers are morewine.com and other winemaking supliers. The nutrients are the same for wine and mead. And at least some have free shipping. I am from spain so its only what i read sometimes here. someone from there may chime in.

rookie2531

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 17, 2017
N.E. KY
since last post, i added 4 more peeled oranges, not the peels.

next day, i noticed the lid had explosive leak around most of it. fluids down the sides and on the shelf it sat on. guess the yeast really liked those oranges, lol

just to refresh.
didnt know gravity when i started, but after 6 days of ferm. reading was 1.15
i added 1.75 gallons of water to bring reading to 1.100
Now, since bucket lid leaks, i went out and bought carboy and racked everything into it. after syphoning liquid. i used a canning funnel and put oranges and raisins and everything.

Now, the reading is 1.03. I drank the juice from the test tube and it is very strong. i got a good buzz from it. it has a strong bitter orange taste, still, but at least it isnt as sweet as it was. But , it is very strong and still bubbling.

I suppose since i dont know where the gravity was when i started and added water, it will be a guessing game on alcohol%.

Next batch is going to be straight, water,honey and yeast.

Last edited:

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Well. So if you end up finishing your ferment with residual sugar left behind. You can more or less figure that what ever the ABV tolerance was of the yeast is what the ABV is. The yeast will have tapped out at the ABV tolorance level of that strain. This will vary some. With the modern science we use you can figure most yeast will go beyond the listed ABV. If you did less than "best case 'senario", it may have not gotten to that point.

My hunch ios that as a newbee you may have not been up to speed with everything you could have done to get a good strong, clean ferment. That is my bet as you didn't know about SG and such.

At the end of the day you can figure pretty closely by adding how many points your yeast chewed up.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns