• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How to stabilize without adding sulfite?

Barrel Char Wood Products
J

jeewon0516

Is there anyway to stabilize mead without adding sulfite or any other chemicals?
Seems like cold crashing is one way but it doesn't guarantee stop in fermentation.
Help appreciated!

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
This has come up a lot lately. You can serch for a more detailed response because at least i have already answered this a couple more times.
For reliable results only sulphites are really the method. Others, less reliable are

Filtration
Fortification (but over 18-19% to make sure it wont referment)
Cold crashing and fining agents and racking. But this is not really reliable.
Ferment until the yeast tap out because they cant keep fermenting (they reach their abv tolerance). Some people have done this, even myself with different results. Sometimes its ok, but if you change the bottles to higher temperatures or dilute the mead after the fermentation, it can cause bottle bombs.

Again all of this is not safe if you plan to backsweeten. Sulphites are found in most foods, so unless you really are allergic i suggest you use them or stick to drier meads. I understand not wanting to use chemicals but in the end if you want sweet meads...

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
.5 micron filtration is supposed to filter out all organisms both yeast and bacteria.
2 micron filters out yeast only.
If dry you can get by with just fining agents.

If you want to backsweeten, I would recommend:
1) a lower ABV (13-15%) mead and ferment to poop out of the yeast AND
2) cold crash for 2 weeks and rack, THEN
3) filter: preferably with 0.5micron but 1-2 MiGHT be enough.

If you do all 3 in theory you should have no problem backsweening.
2/3 would be a questionable but possibly could work.

X-tian

Mead Enthusiast
GotMead Patron
Seems like a good plan then would be to...

1. Ferment to 1.000 or below

2. Cold crash for at least two weeks and rack off

3. Filter twice. Once for coarse particulate and then once for fine particulate.

4. Keep stored on the cooler side.

5. Fortify if you don't think you filtered well enough or just want to play it extra safe. This seems counterintuitive to how I want my mead, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
Yes but I forgot one other option as an alternative:
1) ferment to dry and
2) backsweeten with non-fermentable such as lactose and/or sugar substitute

With this approach you would need to add one vanilla bean per gallon to soften minimal flavors of lactose. Plus vanilla by its very nature has some sweetness to it.

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
Yes but I forgot one other option as an alternative:
1) ferment to dry and
2) backsweeten with non-fermentable such as lactose and/or sugar substitute

With this approach you would need to add one vanilla bean per gallon to soften minimal flavors of lactose. Plus vanilla by its very nature has some sweetness to it.

You are right, i forgot. Nonfermentables such as lactose (altough other bacteria can ferment lactose, but not yeast) or stevia is an option. Altough he asked about "stabilizing", if you want sweet this is an option.

Maylar

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 23, 2015
Connecticut
My favorite non-fermentable sweetener is Xylitol. I hate artificial sweeteners because of the aftertaste and Xylitol has none. It's an organic sugar alcohol made from birch trees. With my ciders, I find that 3 TBSP per gallon is semi-sweet. Be aware though that it's toxic to dogs - so if that's an issue for you then find something else.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns