• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

bottling question

Barrel Char Wood Products

C.Stod82

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2017
Beautiful Northern, Utah
I made my first simple mead, 3.5 pounds honey, 1 tangerine (peeled), 20 raisins, a packet of red star pasteur champagne yeast in a one gallon jug. It bubbled vigorously for 15 days I racked it, now it been in the secondary for 6 weeks. It measures 1.00 and is very very clear. It has a few tiny sparkly bubbles but very few now. Do you think it is ready to be bottled in bellisima bottles with corks now?

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
Are there a lot of lees (sediment) at the bottom? Is it clear? (As clear as a white wine lets say more or less)
You should rack again in a couple of weeks, leave it another month and bottle or so. Alrernatively you can bulk age which means closing the jug for a few months, but i recommend you rack at least one more time before doing either

You should read the newbee guide, it will teach you a lot about the basics
People dont usually rack so early, its beneficial to leave the yeast there for a while longer. Since you already did its ok, but for the next time ;)

Also try to give sg with 4 digits. For example, 1.000.

Most people tweak the recipe when the ferment is done. Adding some spices fruit or more honey. Also the sour might come from the tangerine

brian12321

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 30, 2015
You're probably good as you likely won't ferment much at all below 1.00. In my opinion one of the benefits of waiting to bottle is you get to taste it periodically as it bulk ages without having to open a bottle. Also the longer you wait the more it will clear. I also like to add clearing agents prior to bottling because you may think it clear but once you bottle you realize not so much. Also if you do back sweeten I think the clearing agents help because it cam cloud up again on you depending on what you use to sweeten it. Just make sure you add the necessary potassium sorbate and potassium metabusulphite when back sweetening. The longer you let this thing ate (bulk or in bottle) the more it will smooth out

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
You did rack too soon. You see if you stir every 2-3 days after fermentation is over it serves a useful purpose.
While the yeast may be done fermenting, but the yeast have glycogen stores to keep them alive.
With these stores and periodic stirring to keep them in an active state, the yeast will actually assist you in helping to clear the mead. It is good to do this 3-4 weeks after fermentation is over.

Yes there are some who are overly paranoid about yeast autolysing and releasing yeast innards. This is only half the story:
This happens if you let the yeast sit at the bottom months (not days) without stirring!

In addition there is the concept of sur lie ageing where you can go 4-9 months (depending on yeast strain) with regular stirrings to enhance the taste of the mead.
This is done a lot with wine. Like oak ageing neither is done enough with mead.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns