• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

My first attempt at brewing mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

LoiseLoise

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 11, 2017
so i did my homework and dug around, and i am planning to make my first attempt on brewing mead, here is the list of everything i have so far:

pasteur champagne blanc yeast 1 packet
sodium percarbonate cleaner
Vinoferm NutriVit
5 litre PET jug
Hydrometer 1.000-1.200 scale
Hydrometer .950-1.050 scale
2 airlocks
4 litre glass carboy
silicone tubing (for siphoning)
650ml longan flower honey (approx .9 kg or 2 lbs)

yeast details:
IDEAL TEMPERATURE RANGE (°F) 59-86°F
ATTENUATION (%) NA
FLOCCULATION Low-Medium
ALCOHOL TOLERANCE (%) 13-15%
RATE OF FERMENTATION Fast
FOAM PRODUCTION Moderate
NUTRIENT REQUIREMENTS Normal
H2S PRODUCTION Low
SO2 PRODUCTION Low
PROFILE Wine

my recipe plan:

target starting sg : 1.095
longan flower honey : 650ml (approx .9 kg or 2 lbs)
water until 3 litres
1 gram pasteur champagne blanc yeast
3 grams NutriVit
target finish sg: <1.005

question 1 : from what i read this will end up as a dry mead with around 12% Alc v/v am i correct?

since i prefer my drinks sweet and a bit stronger i came up with this idea

alternate plan
target starting sg : ~1.130
longan flower honey : 650ml (approx .9 kg or 2 lbs)
table sugar 300 grams
water until 3 litres
1 gram pasteur champagne blanc yeast
3 grams NutriVit
target finish sg: 1.020

so i will end up with some sweet mead with around 14.5% alc v/v

question 2: will it be ok to use sugar to get my desired results? i have read that it might dilute the taste but the honey i am using has a very strong aroma, might help to mellow the aroma a bit. and would the starting sg be too high for the yeast to ferment properly? can't add more honey since that's all i have right now, and the apiary is sold out of this honey, would need to wait a few months to get more. maybe a smaller batch?

question 3: from what i read NutriVit is a mix of all nutrients needed for yeast, but it doesn't contain yeast hulls like what i see in fermaid-k and this is what i can find near me, i read that i can substitute this by boiling up some yeast in water and adding that as nutrient what do you guys think about this?

question 4: if i can use boiled yeast to supplement as yeast nutrient, how much will i need?

question 5: alot of tutorials i see add more nutrients at every 1/3 sugar break, but NutriVit instructions say to add to the must before yeast is added, i guess its best to follow the manufacturers suggestion? or maybe i just add the dead yeasts if it will work?

question 6: what is the primary indication that primary fermentation has finished and it's time to rack the mead off the lees? i have read around but i am not very sure since the information i found is pretty inconsistent, some even don't rack at all, so i request insight from the experts here :p

question 7: is there anything that i missed or anything else that i might need?

any suggestions and advice is welcome, i want to learn as much as possible so i can have a good result on my first try.
and thanks beforehand to all the experts here giving advice and insight to newbees like us getting into the hobby ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns