• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

5 weeks later. is this stuck fermentation?

Barrel Char Wood Products
J

jeewon0516

10lb acacia honey
3.8gallon water
fermivin 7013
DAP 3.5gram
starting brix 22

It has been 5 weeks since I pitched yeast. I wasn't able to check my mead for 5 weeks due to my business trip.
Now the gravity is 1.030
It had little acidic taste. Aroma was gentle and flowery. I could get honey but it wasn't that raw honey flavor. I got some peach and apple in it as well. It was slightly carbonated. Very clear. It didn't have fuel or sulfite flavor surprisingly. Most importantly, sweet. I designed this mead to be dry. Fermivin 7013 stands up to 14% so I expected it to ferment all the honey I put.

did I get stuck fermentation in this? or is it yeast just working really slowly? I expected mead to be uncabornated if it was stuck. Please share your ideas! Thank you!

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
It does sound like a stuck one, it is if its not bubbling. do you see bubbles on the surface? If there are, the eyast might be slowly working.
The aromas and flavours you describe match the ones of an acacia honey mead. You probably dont taste the fusel flavour because still has a lot of sugar and the yeast died at around 9-9.5% ABV
You did not use nutrients or take much care of it. If it is stuck you have two choices. Leave it be (9% is not so bad if it does taste good and you dont mind it being sweet) or restart the ferment with new yeast. Pick your poison.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Or . Firt I would checl pH. If it's too low bring it up with some K2CO3

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
Let me make sure I understand. You pitched the yeast and then did nothing for 5 weeks with it?

J

jeewon0516

Yessir I haven't done anything for 5 weeks due to business trip.
I actually left last night for another business trip and haven't done anything to it. Didn't even rack it, still sitting on that lees.
I did see bubbles on the surface but airlock wasn't moving at all. I'm coming back in 4 weeks so I just decided let my yeast do what it does.
I enjoyed the taste of it as well so I wouldn't mind even if it doesn't ferment further. Just wanted to know if it is a stuck fermentation or not.
Thanks for the help!

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
Yessir I haven't done anything for 5 weeks due to business trip.
I actually left last night for another business trip and haven't done anything to it. Didn't even rack it, still sitting on that lees.
I did see bubbles on the surface but airlock wasn't moving at all. I'm coming back in 4 weeks so I just decided let my yeast do what it does.
I enjoyed the taste of it as well so I wouldn't mind even if it doesn't ferment further. Just wanted to know if it is a stuck fermentation or not.
Thanks for the help!

So a total of 9 weeks after pitching doing nothing.

I recommend one of the forum members who enjoy the "pitch and leave" approach to give you guidance.

I can tell you that the pitch and leave method usually takes at least a year to age out and be drinkable without being "hot"

Last edited:

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
It often does take time to age out, but I have had meads that were fine out of secondary. I would have racked it, myself, but c'est la vie.

See what it's doing in 4 weeks, then decide. Repitch with more yeast and nutrients, rack and let it bulk age some more, or bottle after stabilizing. You liked the result -- that's the important thing!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns