• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Help first mead!!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Jessica.IMM

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 9, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Hello, my first mead is the JAOM recipe that is 1 month and 3 days old, apparently the fermentation is over, it only has 2 raisins in suspension and it is getting quite clear. I noticed that on the walls of the fermenter is with drops of steam. Is that a bad seal or is it normal? Thank you and I'm sorry for the bad english, I'm from Brazil and I take the opportunity to say hello and thank you all.-benzóico.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Ola! Welcome to gotmead!

Yes, a little bit of condensation on the sides of the fermenter is normal. Often. the JAOM will go clear very quickly, but you should still wait the 90-100 days to let the yeast do its job. A few questions:

What are you using as a fermenter?
What is the temperature where you are keeping the fermenter?
What are you using as an airlock/cover for the fermenter?
What size is the fermenter? 4 liters? (1 gallon?)

And most important.... did you follow the directions EXACTLY? :)

antonioh

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2013
Lisbon - Portugal
Seja bem vinda.

Tudo bem aí por S. Paulo ?

Mannye tem razão . Acho 1 mês pouco tempo. Não terá parado a fermentação antes do tempo ?

And for you Mannye .... WELCOME BACK !

Jessica.IMM

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 9, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Hello!
I believe it's maturing. I intend to do the first rack when it complete 90 days. It will be on June 23. I have not yet a densimeter to make sure that the fermentation has stopped, but the must no longer presents any activity and the yeast decantation and ingredients and the cleaning of the must is very evident. Now answering the questions:

1 - I am using as a fermenter a gallon of plastic of 10 liters

2 - I am not doing temperature control, here in Brazil varies a lot. But in the last weeks it is colder around 25 celsius. The fermenter is outside inside a wooden cabinet and covered with a black cloth.

3 - As an airlock I improvised with a hose dipped in a bottle of water.

4 - The fermenter has the capacity of 10 liters but should have 9 liters because I left space for the foam.

I followed this recipe:

3.7 kgs of Honey
- 4 medium oranges cut into 8
- Three pieces of raw Cinnamon
- 7 carnations
- Two hands full of raisins
- 20 gr yeast fleishmann

Was it still to be with active fermentation? Should I do a procedure or leave it as it is?

Jessica.IMM

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 9, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Obrigada! Está fazendo bastante frio hoje rsrs, como está aí em Lisboa? A fermentação parou bem cedo, acredito que com uns 15 dias boa parte das leveduras já tinham decantado. O jaom costuma ficar com a fermentação ativa por mais ou menos quanto tempo?

Jessica.IMM

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 9, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Hello!
I believe it's maturing. I intend to do the first rack when it complete 90 days. It will be on June 23. I have not yet a densimeter to make sure that the fermentation has stopped, but the must no longer presents any activity and the yeast decantation and ingredients and the cleaning of the must is very evident. Now answering the questions:

1 - I am using as a fermenter a gallon of plastic of 10 liters

2 - I am not doing temperature control, here in Brazil varies a lot. But in the last weeks it is colder around 25 celsius. The fermenter is outside inside a wooden cabinet and covered with a black cloth.

3 - As an airlock I improvised with a hose dipped in a bottle of water.

4 - The fermenter has the capacity of 10 liters but should have 9 liters because I left space for the foam.

I followed this recipe:

3.7 kgs of Honey
- 4 medium oranges cut into 8
- Three pieces of raw Cinnamon
- 7 carnations
- Two hands full of raisins
- 20 gr yeast fleishmann

Was it still to be with active fermentation? Should I do a procedure or leave it as it is?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Carnations? Interesting. You don't need a hydrometer (densimeter, I assume) for JAOM. If it's not active after 90 days and all the fruit is on the bottom, rack and taste.

It should already taste good at 90 days. I'm a little concerned that it doesn't seem to be the exact recipe. Did you use bread yeast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jessica.IMM

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 9, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Yes, I used yeast for bread made by Fleischmann. On a Portuguese site he stated that this was jaom's original recipe. In the original recipe does not contain clove? I'm afraid the alcohol content has ended too low since it seems the fermentation is over too soon. After 20 days, there were no more airlock blisters and no more activity in the wort.

antonioh

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2013
Lisbon - Portugal
It seem to be a little confusion between clove and carnation ??

In portuguese carnation is " cravo" and clove is "cravo ou cravinho da Índia", but they are not the same thing .

See clove in "caryophyllus aromaticus".

I´ve never had a JAOM made (clear) in less than four month and activity usually for a month or two...

Aqui o tempo está mau para as abelhas com a Primavera muito seca . Prevê-se que a colheita de mel seja escassa...

Jessica.IMM

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 9, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I could not post the image here, as the fermentation apparently stopped too soon I'm running the risk of getting a low alcohol drink? Should I do something?

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
No, it sounds about right. The fermentation does NOT last the entire 2 months. It should only last 2-4 weeks. The rest of the time (while the fruit drops) is for aging and clearing.

Relax.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Usually, one per gallon is enough. In fact so strong you need to check often so it doesn't get way too strong.

Jessica.IMM

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 9, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

Jessica.IMM

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 9, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
OMG. now i'm afraid with the result, hope that it don't result too bad how i am thinking. For my next mead i will follow the original- original recipe and see the diferences.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns